Friday, August 25, 2006

Pain and Sacrifice

The things I have to go through for you people, I just don't know. It's around 6:30 pm and it's sitting at about 26 degrees. I dragged my self away from the return of Summer just so I could let you guys know all about it.

That's right, today was a marvellous day - bright clear skies, sunny, and most of all: hot. Everyone looked at me weirdly walking into class today with my hoody, shorts, and sandals combo. But those people had to go home and get changed to enjoy the heat from midday onwards. I merely had to strip off a layer. Man that felt good, sunning it up, walking round the water front, through the parks and simply doing not a hell of a lot all the while gaining maximum rewards.

The bad news is that I'm alone again. Kat has abandoned me, taking off to Bremen, and she's heading over to Berlin straight from there. So it's been me and my shadow again. Not that I really mind, I've done it for the last three weeks. It's just that this week was a nice little respite and I enjoyed the company. Plus, Bremen. Never been there before.

Not to worry though, my life is filling up again from tomorrow onwards. My flatmate returns tomorrow night from the Greek Island she's been vacationing on for the last while, I'm pretty sure she'll be a tiny whee thing. I've seen her shoes and jacket, met her Dad, and seen photos of her with Polly. She looks to be really small. Admittedly I'm a tall fellow, and some of you only reach my shoulder, I have a distinct feeling she'll only reach half way up my chest. I'll let you all know.

Other upcoming events include the HSV football match on Sunday evening. It'll be my first ever real football match. Although I've been to the HSV and AC Roma game, that was merely a friendly. I'm going to a full blown Bundesliga match at one of the biggest stadiums in Germany. It's going to be awesome, loud, and frenetic. Chaos in a can. Well, they are Germans, so it'll most likely be scheduled, orderly chaos, and the hooligans will probably drink a little and then politely inform the opposition that they should work on their aim and general skills.

I'm also helping Kat meet her friend Becky on Sunday afternoon. I've been told I know her, being a VUW law student, and chances are I've met her once. The name does ring a bell, but I simply can't recall it for the life of me. Anyways, we're planning a dinner thing on Monday night. Most likely it'll involve a cheap Portugese restuarant, inexpensive wine, and a trip to your local Reeperbahn. I'm told that's how these things work, but of course I wouldn't have such experiences. Knowing me, we'll end up in a brand new Italian joint getting free Proseco and pizza. At least there'll be stories then.

Other bright activites coming up are the start of the exchange programme next week, of course, and a visit from Jo (my good friend who found herself in Dublin). Something I'm very much looking forward to. I haven't seen her in nigh on a year. To jog your memory of Jo, she did her honours in Film at VUW and I worked with her in the pools. Some will remember her as the one who got me to coax numerous friends into helping out being in her film (I still have those photos somewhere Dom).

So I have to blow my horn for a little bit. Before I wrote this, I was sitting out on my balcony playing the guitar. And from the apartment across the way, a girl comes out, sits down on her balcony and starts reading. After playing for a while, I head back inside. When I get back into my room, I see that she's moved back inside now. I'd like to think it was me tinkering round on the guitar that coaxed her outside, but it could equally be the sun and the heat. But it's nice to think that someone out there felt me mucking round was worth a little time.

And that's probably the reason why Pluto got downgraded from being classified as a planet. There's only room enough for nine planetary sized objects in this solar system and my ego just bumped Pluto off the list.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I promise more photos in the coming posts. I've been lazy on that point I'm sorry.

Mike said...

Americans are puritans through and through. Just read this.

a.m.y said...

heya...good to hear youre keeping yourself busy.....im in california at the moment....ill send you an email nowish....