I find myself having to fill you in about my weekend. Well, as we know, Saturday was good fun getting to know Jana, and wandering through the streets of Hamburg again.
Yesterday was more action packed though: I went to my first Bundesliga game. It was HSV versus Bertha BSC Berlin, and the stadium was sold out. This meant there was somewhere in the region of 54,000 people in the stadium for the official count. This place is huge:
This was taken about 20 minutes before the game started, and as you can see, it's no where near capacity. Yet. Down in the left corner of the photo, you can probably make out the Terraces.
Now this place is where I sat last time I was at a HSV game, and man they were way louder this time. The sound never stopped. From all quarters of the stadium there was always huge amounts of clapping, cheering, singing, and stomping. I've never been in such an electric environment (yes, that is my video from my camera). It was an immeasureable opportunity, and worth far more than the €36 I paid for my ticket.This brings up the next point: HSV qualified for the Champions League. Consequently, there will be at least three games played in Hamburg in September, October, and November. And I can get a ticket to all three for €60 or there abouts. That's €20 a game, for a type of thing I'll probably never get to see live again. You bet your ass I'm buying those tickets. That'd be some quality football, and here's me hoping that HSV get a wicked draw for the pools. I mean, who wouldn't want to see HSV against Real Madrid, or Chelsea, or Manchester United. Hell, any of the games will be top notch stuff.
Anyways, I gloat. After the game, I caught up with Kat. Germans don't seem to know how to make a night of a game, everyone I was with had other plans. So with Kat having returned from Berlin and her stint in the German Islands of the North Sea, I headed out to dinner with her and her friend Becky. It was a great time. We dined at a little Spainish restaurant down the road from Kat's, and the guys there spoke better English than German. And I'll tell you what, the Sangria was good. I'm going to have to learn how to make me some of that.
Then we headed into the Dom, being the last night and all. The Ferris Wheel view was awesome again, seeing the entire Hamburg city at night is amazing. Both Kat and Becky loved it, and I'm glad that I could be up there with people who enjoyed it as much as I did.
Only downside to yesterday, was the weather. It was cold. A chilling 17 degrees. I found myself in hoody and jacket. I really am becoming acclimatised - what am I going to do upon my return to NZ?
Today looks promising, at least there's sun. And this is good, because I'm being the tour guide again for Becky, Kat's friend, and showing them the sights and sounds of Hamburg. I have to say I quite enjoy it, and I think I've got a few number of tricks up my sleeve, so I hope those that are on my little tour enjoy it as much as I do.
Well, frankly, I really don't mind. I have a good time, smiling and all.
1 comment:
HSV have drawn Arsenal (13 Sep), Porto
(01 Nov) and Moscow (06 Dec).
Dad
Post a Comment