Today's been pretty good. Having two extremely large cups of coffee before midday will do that to a man. It was a little difficult rolling out to class this morning, but I managed it. Time differences are a killer when trying to sort out hassles involving New Zealand.
My fingers are still raw from playing the guitar, but that's been softened by the research I've been doing today. There's two interesting events happening in Germany shortly. One, as I've mentioned before, is Ben Harper touring and being a large fan I'd love the chance to finally be able to see him. I'm still bitter at how I've missed EVERY one of his concerts in New Zealand thanks to the scheduling of exams and assesments. So why not take the chance to go? It's only €30 and guaranteed to be a good time. I'm just a little unsure of whether to go alone. The concert's in November, so there's plenty of time.
The second event is the Men's Hockey World Cup. Probably the only chance I'll get to see such an event. It's only around €25 for a day pass on the days I can make it, and when New Zealand is playing. Problem is that it's in a little city to the south, which is 4 hours by train. "No problem," you say "right?". That's where the difficultly arises. Train tickets aren't cheap between cities. Well, okay, one way they are. But I'm looking at €75 for one way, and then another €150 for the return trip. Bugger me that's steep. All up, though, for a chance to see three (or four) world class hockey matches the cost would basically be something like €250 for the entry and train fare there and back. Does this sounds fair? I'd have to seriously look at the budget though, but man it's tempting not to eat well for awhile just so I can see this.
Other developments include the further onset of rain and cold weather. Come on, I'm sitting here in jeans and a jumper while it's 19 degrees outside. I hate acclimitisation, but it's better than using a word like "soft". But I've been assured this is typical Hamburg weather. Bugger.
People have also asked what exactly the results of my psychometric testing were. I can confirm that I am not a complete nutter. It includes things like excellent problem critical thinking skills, being motivated and ambitious, having the ability to look for "win-win" situations (I can already hear the supressed coughs in the auidence), having tenacity, outgoing nature, concern for others, fun loving, and more. The list of ego boosts go on and on.
What's more interesting are the "Suggestions for Development", as apparently, for example:
My fingers are still raw from playing the guitar, but that's been softened by the research I've been doing today. There's two interesting events happening in Germany shortly. One, as I've mentioned before, is Ben Harper touring and being a large fan I'd love the chance to finally be able to see him. I'm still bitter at how I've missed EVERY one of his concerts in New Zealand thanks to the scheduling of exams and assesments. So why not take the chance to go? It's only €30 and guaranteed to be a good time. I'm just a little unsure of whether to go alone. The concert's in November, so there's plenty of time.
The second event is the Men's Hockey World Cup. Probably the only chance I'll get to see such an event. It's only around €25 for a day pass on the days I can make it, and when New Zealand is playing. Problem is that it's in a little city to the south, which is 4 hours by train. "No problem," you say "right?". That's where the difficultly arises. Train tickets aren't cheap between cities. Well, okay, one way they are. But I'm looking at €75 for one way, and then another €150 for the return trip. Bugger me that's steep. All up, though, for a chance to see three (or four) world class hockey matches the cost would basically be something like €250 for the entry and train fare there and back. Does this sounds fair? I'd have to seriously look at the budget though, but man it's tempting not to eat well for awhile just so I can see this.
Other developments include the further onset of rain and cold weather. Come on, I'm sitting here in jeans and a jumper while it's 19 degrees outside. I hate acclimitisation, but it's better than using a word like "soft". But I've been assured this is typical Hamburg weather. Bugger.
People have also asked what exactly the results of my psychometric testing were. I can confirm that I am not a complete nutter. It includes things like excellent problem critical thinking skills, being motivated and ambitious, having the ability to look for "win-win" situations (I can already hear the supressed coughs in the auidence), having tenacity, outgoing nature, concern for others, fun loving, and more. The list of ego boosts go on and on.
What's more interesting are the "Suggestions for Development", as apparently, for example:
- I need to consider my comfort in dealing with confrontational issues;
- My tendency to take charge can be construed as an overbearingness;
- "Driven predominantly by your [my] values, [I] may need to also consider other people’s perceptions of [me]"; but
- "Although [I] may enjoy support from others, [I] may need to increase [my] reliance on [my] own thoughts rather than rely on other people’s feedback";
- While I "appear to enjoy having fun, it may be appropriate to have a more serious attitude in some situations as others may attribute [my] light-heartedness to a lack of concern ".
Hmm, food for thought. I don't think I would have picked some of them. But people certainly do change, and I can honestly say I'm a different man than what I was at the start of the year, and I'd vouch for this experience shaping me somewhat as well. I'm certainly going to try and work on some of those areas of development. I've got time and a new environment to work on it.
Last but not least, I've been having some fun indoors while the weather has been poor. I've played round with my computer and have produced a little image that some have taken a liking too. With these comments in mind, and the request for more photos of me, I leave you with this:
I'm allowed to be a little full of myself after getting those results back. It's good to have your sanity vouhed for.
Last but not least, I've been having some fun indoors while the weather has been poor. I've played round with my computer and have produced a little image that some have taken a liking too. With these comments in mind, and the request for more photos of me, I leave you with this:
I'm allowed to be a little full of myself after getting those results back. It's good to have your sanity vouhed for.
1 comment:
Forgot to add a huge thanks to Katie for emailing me both "Live at Bats" and "The Return". THANKS.
Pity Let's Roll didn't want to be sent. Another time maybe.
Post a Comment