So today has blown me away pretty much. It started out slowly and didn't appear to be going anywhere in particular. So I took control and decided that I needed to find something to do, and so I ventured down the path of increasing my tour guide abilities. I walked. Now this sounds pointless enough, until you see the things I stumbled across.
Firstly I decided I'd head towards the student district. I figured that it'd be the place next to the Univeristy here. Being in Eppendorf and having been in its fringes before I thought it would be a good place to have a gawk round. You know, cheap cafes, inexpensive restaurants, nifty shops. I found all of those. But that's not the important part.
It was when walking through the more suburban streets that I noticed little tiles infront of some houses.
It wasn't until I got closer that I realised they were the copper capped stones commerating Jews who had been pulled from their houses. Each one was individually named and dated, and as you can see, they tend to be in clumps of families. This really hit home when walking down one street I came across groups of fours, fives, and sixes at almost every house. Needless to say I was in awe. It just struck me speechless.
Then, right after this I found myself walking through a park. Turns out it's not just any park, this is right where the first Jews were shipped off out of Hamburg. The sign said it all. And more harrowing was the stones placed ontop of it. Some may not be aware of this Jewish custom, but normally stones are placed on headstones or other such commertative plaques. As soon as I realised this, again, I found myself dumbstruck.After this, I decided I need to find somewhere nice and relaxing to be. Somewhere just to think things over for myself. So following the advice of my German teacher I visited the Botannical Gardens out in Klein Flottbek. It's about a twenty minute subway ride from town, so this place is really out in the edges of Hamburg. But man. Stunning. Just look at the photos I've put together below. I'm definitely going back there, and taking anyone I can. I just had this massive smile on my face the entire time I was walking round. Man it was good.



Speaking of smiles, I should share with you my little experiment for the day. Seeing as I was in such a good mood, I thought I should share it with everyone round me. I've been told that I have an honest smile, and pleasing at that, so sharing it seemed like me to be a good idea. Out of all the people I walked past today with whom I shared my smile, only one smiled back. He was the local drunk who always sits on the bench round the corner from me. Nice guy. But picture how many people there are in Hamburg, for how long I walked, and how many people I must have passed. And for there to be only one person to smile in return. This is lead me to believe that Hamburgers don't smile. Or at least not to strangers. That's a turn around from New Zealand, where I can walk down the street and get a smile from almost everyone I see. I can't think why this is, but it just makes me want to smile at more people. Hopefully someone catches whatever it is they think I have.Other celebratory news (for some). Turns out you can stumble onto the street closed to women. Well technically, women are allowed down there, it's just not a wise idea if you want to come out the otherside without phlegm, scratches, or worse. Anyways, it's just off a side street off the Reeperbahn, so upon request I can show you the street when you get here.
The reason I found this place was because I ventured back up from the waterfront via a different route. I was on the waterfront after just seeing the Elbtunnel. It's a one hundred year old tunnel that goes under the Elbe river, and as you can see, it's pretty cool. The whole place is tiled, and you can walk from one end to the other. Guess where I'll be taking visitors?So I believe that fills my photo quota for this week. One more thing for people to get Jealous over - Goldenhorse are here in two weeks, and guess who's scoring tickets?
2 comments:
Jana has just arrived back, and she's not as tiny as I first though. Comes up to my shoulder.
She is really wonderful though, and I'm looking forward to getting to know her.
Turns out her Dad is from Sicily, and yes, they do own the place in the Greek Islands. Wonder if I can borrow it?
fuck dude, those plaques are a mind fuck.
There, my quota for the day is met, huzzah
Post a Comment