So today has been slightly weird to say the least. I should have known something was up this morning when I was running late, but somehow made it to class early. I mean, I left after I normally do, caught the later train, and still managed to make it to class early. It befuddled me, so I thought nothing else of it.
Then, in class, of all things we start talking about Ikea stores. For those of you not educated in the European instution that is Ikea, it is a veritable collection of quality furniture and houseware at dirtcheap prices. Catch is you need to assemble it. But man, the furniture is awesome. Turns out there's one of the most recent, and biggest, Ikea stores in Hamburg. And only a 9 minute trip from the city centre by train. Guess where I'll be going on safari.
The most surreal thing though, was walking through the city centre and being stopped by a turban clad, wispy bearded Indian man. He simply stopped me and said "You have a very lucky face", all in English, in the middle of a busy German street. How he knew I spoke English, I don't know (okay, so most people here speak English, but still). He introduced himself as a Yoga teacher then proceeded to tell me that I have three features of my face, and that they mean that I'm a very lucky person. He also told me from my face he could see that I always thinking but never tiring of it, and he explained what he meant: "The mind is always going, but the body does not follow sometimes. It will follow, but not only when the mind makes it". I'm also told that next month will be a fantastic time for me, and things will get better and better. Then after enquiring what I do, he introduced me to his student, a short lanky clean cut Indian youth, only slightly younger than myself. This is where things get whack.
He starts talking to me about my face, and how it has three features and means it's a face of a lucky man. Ignoring the voice in my head, I go with my gut and stick around just to see what the trick is. After fumbling with a leather wallet and the papers inside, he pulls two pieces out and obscuring my view he writes something down, screws the piece of paper up and passes it to me. The simple instruction is to hold onto it, so I oblige. I'm asked four questions: "to speak a number between 1 and 5", "to speak the name of any international flower I like", "to speak five international countries I like", and "to speak the name of my grandfather" followed by "please spell that" (I mean 'Jim' can't be that hard to spell right?). Throughout, he maintains my eye and never flinches or moves. Experiment time, write down your answers to these questions and let me know what they are.
He then tells me that "if written down on here are two of my answers, there will be luck. If not, there will be change". So I open the paper, and there scrawled in neat cursive hand writing is: '2', 'Jasmine', and the letters 'PHM'. Needless to say I was impressed. My attention is drawn to the letters PHM immediately, just wondering what they mean. Apparently, they stand for something which I can't recall. But the essence of his translation was that of luck, opportunity, and positive change.
Then I'm hit with the catch: "I'm travelling round the world, trying to help the children in need". Best. lie. ever. But seeing as he's made me feel good, I open my wallet and happiness fills me as the only note in there is €5. I thought it was money well spent. I felt good, and had a little entertainment. Plus I can always rest on the fact I was told it would go towards helping him fly around the world and feed starving children.
Last weird thing to happen today: I didn't get wet. The skies opened up on my way home, and here's me just walking in a t-shirt and no umbrella or jumper. While everyone else around me is getting soaked, I get nothing more than a few splashes. It felt as though I was walking between the rain drops, slipping between curtains of rain. It was the weirdest feeling, and I drew some looks as I strolled calmly by store fronts and crowded porches.
So to summarise today's weirdness: I got to class early, talked about Ikea, got swindled on the street, and didn't get wet. Dammit, doesn't sound nearly half as fanciful like that.
Then, in class, of all things we start talking about Ikea stores. For those of you not educated in the European instution that is Ikea, it is a veritable collection of quality furniture and houseware at dirtcheap prices. Catch is you need to assemble it. But man, the furniture is awesome. Turns out there's one of the most recent, and biggest, Ikea stores in Hamburg. And only a 9 minute trip from the city centre by train. Guess where I'll be going on safari.
The most surreal thing though, was walking through the city centre and being stopped by a turban clad, wispy bearded Indian man. He simply stopped me and said "You have a very lucky face", all in English, in the middle of a busy German street. How he knew I spoke English, I don't know (okay, so most people here speak English, but still). He introduced himself as a Yoga teacher then proceeded to tell me that I have three features of my face, and that they mean that I'm a very lucky person. He also told me from my face he could see that I always thinking but never tiring of it, and he explained what he meant: "The mind is always going, but the body does not follow sometimes. It will follow, but not only when the mind makes it". I'm also told that next month will be a fantastic time for me, and things will get better and better. Then after enquiring what I do, he introduced me to his student, a short lanky clean cut Indian youth, only slightly younger than myself. This is where things get whack.
He starts talking to me about my face, and how it has three features and means it's a face of a lucky man. Ignoring the voice in my head, I go with my gut and stick around just to see what the trick is. After fumbling with a leather wallet and the papers inside, he pulls two pieces out and obscuring my view he writes something down, screws the piece of paper up and passes it to me. The simple instruction is to hold onto it, so I oblige. I'm asked four questions: "to speak a number between 1 and 5", "to speak the name of any international flower I like", "to speak five international countries I like", and "to speak the name of my grandfather" followed by "please spell that" (I mean 'Jim' can't be that hard to spell right?). Throughout, he maintains my eye and never flinches or moves. Experiment time, write down your answers to these questions and let me know what they are.
He then tells me that "if written down on here are two of my answers, there will be luck. If not, there will be change". So I open the paper, and there scrawled in neat cursive hand writing is: '2', 'Jasmine', and the letters 'PHM'. Needless to say I was impressed. My attention is drawn to the letters PHM immediately, just wondering what they mean. Apparently, they stand for something which I can't recall. But the essence of his translation was that of luck, opportunity, and positive change.
Then I'm hit with the catch: "I'm travelling round the world, trying to help the children in need". Best. lie. ever. But seeing as he's made me feel good, I open my wallet and happiness fills me as the only note in there is €5. I thought it was money well spent. I felt good, and had a little entertainment. Plus I can always rest on the fact I was told it would go towards helping him fly around the world and feed starving children.
Last weird thing to happen today: I didn't get wet. The skies opened up on my way home, and here's me just walking in a t-shirt and no umbrella or jumper. While everyone else around me is getting soaked, I get nothing more than a few splashes. It felt as though I was walking between the rain drops, slipping between curtains of rain. It was the weirdest feeling, and I drew some looks as I strolled calmly by store fronts and crowded porches.
So to summarise today's weirdness: I got to class early, talked about Ikea, got swindled on the street, and didn't get wet. Dammit, doesn't sound nearly half as fanciful like that.
1 comment:
We have Ikea in the states... :). Didn't know it wasn't a worlwide phenomena. I've always loved them for the cheap wonderful furniture.
In other news, slipping between the raindrops sounds divine, although I definitely prefer getting wet. Was hoping I'd catch some rain in Seattle, but bright sunny skies thus far. Probably good since I forgot to bring any warm clothes.
Post a Comment