Wednesday, August 09, 2006

It Lives!

Today has been an improvement again. This week just gets better and better. Apart from stealing a sleep in and having to fork out for another subway ticket, but even then it's not so bad. I got to class on time, and then the sky looked well more than pregnant with rain.

This afternoon I set out on my journey to find The Hamburg Kunsthalle. Which I managed to do, all thanks to a handy Hamburg map and the friendly tourist-sign-post-direction-thingies. It's a huge place, and I would have gone inside except for the fact the sun decided to come up. So saving myself 8.50 EUR in admission, I proceeded to do what I do best. Wander. Aimlessly.

This proved to be a lovely thing. I found a couple more parks scattered round Hamburg. God knows I can't tell you where they are, I just walked in whatever direction felt best. I didn't actually achieve much today, but I'm not going to complain.

In terms of the discoveries made today, there were a few. Some of which I thought I would share:
  • Germans do have a sense of humour, either that or they really do hate Italians. One sports store had the uniforms of Juventus, AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio on display. I laughed so hard people looked more than the usual sideways at me. Find the back story here.
  • In September there's going to be concerts every afternoon at the Plant um Bloomen, and they're going to be right in the Rose Gardens. Such concerts include: La Traviata; Chopin's Preludes; works of Tschaicosvky; and more. Needless to say where I'll be: Not a bad setting for strings, brass, woodwinds and me huh?
  • I finally have money in my account, after working out the various acronyms used: IBAN, SWIFT, PFO. But the German cash machines are somewhat daunting. I did manage to sort out that Abherung means withdrawl, so I should be sorted.
  • Ciabatta, tomatoes, salami, and a sprinkling of olive oil makes for a fantastic snack.
  • In small doses.
I can also confirm that it was indeed my brother performing the now infamous Sugartits jingle. Hangovers and dares make for great motivators apparently. As for why he did this, we can all thank Mel Gibson.

Hopefully the internet is right in providing me with a place to purchase a guitar from. I'm looking for a cheap little thing to keep me going and tickle the many fancies I've had. The conclusion that I need music has definitely been arrived at. Awhile ago. If the interent proves to be false, apart from being in shock and cowering in horror, I'll need everyone's help. Know any good music stores in Hamburg?

Also, still trying to help Polli out in Sydney, so if anyone knows of a place going can you let me know and I'll pass it on.

And for the final note, I leave you pondering with George Orwell:
In certain kinds of writing, particularly in art criticism and literary criticism, it is normal to come across long passages which are almost completely lacking in meaning.

I wonder what George would have to say about forms of writing such as this then?

4 comments:

Mike said...

I'm also contemplating investing in a swiss ball. Sounds way too geeky, but yeah, I want it to exercise on and to sit on when I work, as I'm missing my one.

Mike said...

By the way, check this out. I'm kinda sore I missed it, hopefully someone has photos.

Anonymous said...

Swiss balls are awesome. Where did you get your nz one from?

Mike said...

Swiss balls can be obtained from Rebel Sports I think. Don't quote me on that, I stole mine from my Mum.