Well as it turns out I've left a number of people off the bulk email list. Public apologies to one and all. Truth be told, I don't actually have a list, I go through all my contacts and tick the boxes. There's alot of boxes. But that shouldn't be my excuse.
Although it does point to the fact that alot of people are actually reading this. Which I'm not complaining about. I did start it for you guys. And it's also been a release for my captive English. Not that it needs any help escaping, it's just probably best for those around me if it's done so in a rather controlled manner.
You'll all probably be happy to know that it's not all sunshine here. We've been having thunderstorms and huge downpours. Sporadically. And briefly. But it should give you all a reprieve from the concern that I'm going brown and enjoying too much sun. The ozone layer and all that.
Now this morning requires a bit of explaning. I caught the subway for the first time. Okay, well then, the first time by myself if Kat's counting those numerous times earlier this year. It's not a huge achievement, but rather an expensive one. You see, I don't get my free student travel until I actually start classes on August 31. Until then, it.s 2.50 EUR a pop, or 14.40 EUR for a 3 day pass. Hence the walking I've been doing. But I'm not complaining: I was running late this morning due to a number of factors - the least of which was that I slept in. It was actually a boon as the weather started to do its crazy thing again just as I left.
So alebit an expensive journey, it meant I arrived on time to class, and most importantly - dry. Then just to piss me off it turned crazy sunny while I was stuck in the classroom. To top it all off the teacher we've had over the past few days is leaving us. Angela was awesome and we had the best time. The reason this is so sad for us is because sessions are split into two, being 8:50 am until 11:15 am, and 11:30 am til 1 pm, and the lady we have in the second half is 'interesting' to say the least. Angela treated us all like we could already speak German and was gently coaxing it out of us, and this other lady just treats us like we don't know crap. So on the exposure we've had up until now, we're not entirely certain what to expect. A good language teacher can make the experience so much more enjoyable not to mention successful.
You may have noticed that this blog is a little earlier than usual, and you'd be right to think there's a reason behind it. Some of us in the language class have organised to catch up for dinner tonight. I'm making friends! But I'm really freakin tired at the moment, and a little kip might be in order.
Probably doesn't help that I just wandered through town today. After having luch with Wiebke and meeting a bunch of new Bucerius people, I just started walking in random directions to see what events and photos I could bring you all. I have no idea exactly where I went, all I know is that there were numerous shops, a couple of canals, and then somehow I ended up back at the Rathaus. It's like some magnet dragging me there. Sadly though, I didn't take any new photos today. I blame the rain that started coming down.
In other news:
Also, some random thoughts and musings I've gathered today:

Although it does point to the fact that alot of people are actually reading this. Which I'm not complaining about. I did start it for you guys. And it's also been a release for my captive English. Not that it needs any help escaping, it's just probably best for those around me if it's done so in a rather controlled manner.
You'll all probably be happy to know that it's not all sunshine here. We've been having thunderstorms and huge downpours. Sporadically. And briefly. But it should give you all a reprieve from the concern that I'm going brown and enjoying too much sun. The ozone layer and all that.
Now this morning requires a bit of explaning. I caught the subway for the first time. Okay, well then, the first time by myself if Kat's counting those numerous times earlier this year. It's not a huge achievement, but rather an expensive one. You see, I don't get my free student travel until I actually start classes on August 31. Until then, it.s 2.50 EUR a pop, or 14.40 EUR for a 3 day pass. Hence the walking I've been doing. But I'm not complaining: I was running late this morning due to a number of factors - the least of which was that I slept in. It was actually a boon as the weather started to do its crazy thing again just as I left.
So alebit an expensive journey, it meant I arrived on time to class, and most importantly - dry. Then just to piss me off it turned crazy sunny while I was stuck in the classroom. To top it all off the teacher we've had over the past few days is leaving us. Angela was awesome and we had the best time. The reason this is so sad for us is because sessions are split into two, being 8:50 am until 11:15 am, and 11:30 am til 1 pm, and the lady we have in the second half is 'interesting' to say the least. Angela treated us all like we could already speak German and was gently coaxing it out of us, and this other lady just treats us like we don't know crap. So on the exposure we've had up until now, we're not entirely certain what to expect. A good language teacher can make the experience so much more enjoyable not to mention successful.
You may have noticed that this blog is a little earlier than usual, and you'd be right to think there's a reason behind it. Some of us in the language class have organised to catch up for dinner tonight. I'm making friends! But I'm really freakin tired at the moment, and a little kip might be in order.
Probably doesn't help that I just wandered through town today. After having luch with Wiebke and meeting a bunch of new Bucerius people, I just started walking in random directions to see what events and photos I could bring you all. I have no idea exactly where I went, all I know is that there were numerous shops, a couple of canals, and then somehow I ended up back at the Rathaus. It's like some magnet dragging me there. Sadly though, I didn't take any new photos today. I blame the rain that started coming down.
In other news:
- I still suck at table soccer/fussball/kicker;
- It looks as though I've been suckered into playing volleyball;
- My bank card is still not sorted;
- Now days I don't quite function without tea in the morning; and
- I can surf the web on Bucerius' wireless network from just inside the Botannical gardens.
Also, some random thoughts and musings I've gathered today:
- At high school in Germany it's compulsory to learn English, and another language for at least two years. Why is it that we struggle with just English?;
- In Kindergarten, Turkish is being taught to children as it provides for resolution of complex grammatical structures, as well as providing a means for the German and Turkish children to interact and help each other. What ever happened to wooden blocks for structure and sharing?;
- Mensa food is cheap, but not great. It is, however, great because it is cheap;
- Germans must really hate economists. The word for economics is "Wirtschaftswissenschaft";
- There's something satisfying to be found when everyone is wearing jumpers and jeans while you're bathing in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals; and
- You're never far from home when you see New Zealand produce in corner fruit stores.

No comments:
Post a Comment