The joy of an overzealous sleep in is something to be treasured. And treasure it I did. Last night involved the crazy antics of a carnival. Not the "Mardi-gras", nor the "Gayparade" that's occuring today, but your old school style fair.
That's right, last night I was true to my word and ended up at The Dom with new found friends from my German classes.
The variety of rides were rather dull, except one which was mind blowingly awesome. It involved being thrown and held upside down, round and round, and spun wickedly fast. Words do not do the thrill justice. You'll also notice that in the background of the above photo there's a Ferris Wheel. It was a rather short ride, but the view was amazing. Adding to that was the fact that the cars are open air, and we got to stop right at the top. This was all because in the next car some guy proposed to his girlfriend at that moment. He had organised it all with the person in charge. Kinda sweet really. But no soppy moments for me, I'm hard as nails. Yip, hard as nails.The most fun, however, was just had in being in a such a fun environment with some wicked people.
Juan-Ma (with me on right) is this crazy Spaniard who's come to Hamburg just to learn German. He was awesome fun, you would have thought he was a little kid lost in a carnival. Wait. We did think he was a little kid lost in the carnial.The astute will notice two things. You'll notice for the first time there's actually a picture of me on my camera. I was brave enough to hand it over to someone else.
But a good night was had by all, aided by the consumption of copious amounts of sugar in the form of rope sherbet and fruit liquorice things. Sour tasty goodness. Beer also was involved, as evidenced by the quality of the photographs as the night progressed.
Exhibit A is to the left, a shot of the carnival from the Ferris Wheel. Other photos taken from this vantage are not worthy of revealing, but they are worthy of written descriptions. You see, Hamburg has these neon blue "goals" all over the city to honour the world cup, they're stuck up all over the show - on buildings, in the Alster, at the Rathaus. Anyways, from the Ferris Wheel and with the night in all it's darkness, most of these goals could be seen. It looked pretty cool. I have very blurry photos of them if people really ask nicely, but then would be betraying my level of intoxication.As for today. Well, a sleep in was great. And then just taking things at a nice easy pace was good fun. Then I got bored. So I domesticated myself. That does sound kind of filthy doesn't it? But I did a massive tidy up of the apartment, which wasn't too hard or too long either.
I think working in the pools has prepared me for a life time of cleaning and hard labour. Scrubbing showers really doesn't seem to bother me now, in fact, I found myself singing while doing it and enjoying it. What has this hemisphere done to me?
No comments:
Post a Comment