Sundays are turning into my domesicated days. I've so far cleaned the entire apartment, washed all the dishes, done all the washing, and gotten things ready for dinner tonight - which will be fish thanks to Kat. I'm feeling rather homely. But I do feel like something is missing though. Like a severe lack of entertainment. Talking to numerous people over the internet, I've come to a firm conclusion that I will buy a guitar and damn the price. My sanity is worth it. There's four and a bit months to decide what to do with it, so I figure that's ample time.
So there's not much really to report about today. Couple of things to note though:
Other random musings for the day include the prospect of having lunch again with Professor Hilf tomorrow. Currently it's unconfirmed, but I'll pop by and see if he's up for it. It will however be my turn to pay, a thing I don't find so daunting now that I've sat down and worked out my budget. Turns out I'm not so expensive to feed afterall. I thought I'd be spending large quantities on cash for food. Turns out that this week I've spent all of €79 on shopping. And that includes cleaning products. Not too bad really. But I'm still a little weary about spending up large.
And Kat's recipe for Fish is AMAZING. Just wow. I tried the oven baked one first, but upon failing to light the gas oven and melting hairs on my arm I decided the frying was the better option. I highly recommend her instructions to massage the fish with all those ingredients before hand. This tasted just amazing. I might go a little lighter on the lemon juice next time. Maybe, but I like a little zest in life. And the wine I bought to go with it was just as good. It tastes average by itself, but with the fish, it just brings out so many more flavours in both. And it's a huge bottle for only €3. So big score on that part. That has totally made my day. So a huge thanks to Kat.
The last thought I'll leave you with is that German chocolate is good. Very very very good. Thank god I'm doing alot of walking.
So there's not much really to report about today. Couple of things to note though:
- If you're sending me anything, make sure its all: c/o Elsner, Lapstroweg 16, 20255 Hamburg. I know some people have sent things already, and no I haven't recieved them yet. Stories I've been told of Deustch Post's competence are unconfirmed, but looking likely.
- Don't hesitate to comment on the site, you don't need to register or anything anymore.
- Failing that, feel free to email me. The address can be found on the right side bar. Social contact is a good thing. Sometimes the best of things.
- Telecom NZ are incompetent. The 0800 number for ringing home is not working, and I'm left with little recourse.
- Response from my little excursion through the Reeperbahn (the red light district) has focused mainly on one thing: "You need to go into the shops next time Michael". I think I'll need some Dutch courage to do that.
Other random musings for the day include the prospect of having lunch again with Professor Hilf tomorrow. Currently it's unconfirmed, but I'll pop by and see if he's up for it. It will however be my turn to pay, a thing I don't find so daunting now that I've sat down and worked out my budget. Turns out I'm not so expensive to feed afterall. I thought I'd be spending large quantities on cash for food. Turns out that this week I've spent all of €79 on shopping. And that includes cleaning products. Not too bad really. But I'm still a little weary about spending up large.
And Kat's recipe for Fish is AMAZING. Just wow. I tried the oven baked one first, but upon failing to light the gas oven and melting hairs on my arm I decided the frying was the better option. I highly recommend her instructions to massage the fish with all those ingredients before hand. This tasted just amazing. I might go a little lighter on the lemon juice next time. Maybe, but I like a little zest in life. And the wine I bought to go with it was just as good. It tastes average by itself, but with the fish, it just brings out so many more flavours in both. And it's a huge bottle for only €3. So big score on that part. That has totally made my day. So a huge thanks to Kat.
The last thought I'll leave you with is that German chocolate is good. Very very very good. Thank god I'm doing alot of walking.
8 comments:
So you are now a domestic goddess? I look forward to hearing your tales of hot adventures in the Red Light District - if you can, try and solve some sexy mysteries.
Oh, and I thought of a philosophical dilemna for you, but I'll have to customise it for you, given your location. So here it is:
Would a flawless diamond statue of Stalin still be in fact, be flawless?
Juan
For the statue:
In terms of craftsmenship - yes. It is flawless.
In terms of general views - one has to admire the handywork, so I'd still say yes. You could also argue that everyone has their flaws, and thereby nothing is flawless in that sense. Semantics, great arguments flow from it.
I'll try and document my next trip in the Reeperbahn, complete with photographic evidence. Could make a handy guide for Karateparty.
Oh and Kat, I know you deleted your comment, but yes that's another reason why I didn't stop. It was THAT Christof.
So in effect you think a work of art transcends its subject matter?
A work of art can be appreciated for the skill that has gone into it. That doesn't mean to say that when appreciating art the subject matter is separate.
It's there now, weird. Don't know what happened there.
I'm not sure that separating the art from the subject matter should in fact be done. Art is decorative, it is deliberate. The artist choses to create something, to separate the act of creating from the subject matter seems a little artifical.
A similar question would be - is it wrong to use scientific data developed from inhuman methods - e.g. animal testing, testing on prisoners, etc.
So not to sidestep the first point, I'll wade into it now. You highlight an important point, the artist's idea and creation. At which point we need to consider subjectivity. We have to consider art together with the artist's perception as well as our own. So to that end, a diamond statue of Stalin could still be flawless in that regard because we need to consider the artist's intention and what he is trying to show. Is it that Stalin deserves to be flawlessly immortalised, or is he trying to create irony? Consideration of art can be a complex thing once you scratch the surface.
Second point: Ah, that's starting to enter into a morality and ethical debate.
Most of the advanced scientific and medicical knowledge we now have was thanks to the experiements conducted on people during WWII.
Was it amoral or unethical? Unethical most likely, amoral maybe. But it's difficult to separate the two in hind sight. We're a better people because of the results, and we're stronger people because of the decision to do it.
We are the sum of our errors and flaws as well as positive attributes. To ignore that is to ignore the whole.
Post a Comment