Saturday, August 12, 2006

Leather

Well today has turned into a complete and utter abortion. To get into this mindset, we need to compare it to the absolute fantastic time I had last night.


Felix had farewell drinks at a bar in Eppendorf. Took me a while to locate the place. But I did in the end, and man it was good fun. I spent the first hour or so attempting to conduct conversations in German, and I'm quite proud of the fact I actually had conversations and both sides could be understood. Obviously some better than others, but I do think my German comprehension has improved dramatically. As an example I managed to understand about 90% of a conversation Felix and his freind were having about surfing and varying lengths of boards that he should consider for his time in Malibu. It's a great feeling to know that people aren't talking about you in a foregin language.

Add to this the fact I got rather totalled too. Weißbier is turning into my poison. A sweet, tasty, delicious poison. But my undoing nonetheless. There's something comforting knowing that you can safely get home by subways when drunk.

That is until the train you need to catch when you transfer trains in the middle of nowhere has finished for the night. I mean, come on, last train at 12:17 am? I thought the German system was advanced. So that meant I had to walk home from Bupkissville. I had no sense of time, or direction really. Beind drunk will do that. But I did arrive safely home sometime round 1 am. I think. I can't be sure.

This did, however, mean that getting up this morning was a struggle. Well, struggle doesn't really capture it. I slept through my alarm quite soundly and obviously then with apparent ease. Turns out that I must have really needed some sleep. Spending all night catching up with you lot has taken its toll I'd say. But the debt is settled and I should surivive for awhile longer.

As for the remains of the day. Felix told me where I could possibly buy a guitar just down the road. And sure enough, there is a place about a 15-20 minute walk away (Thanks to Andreas for pointing me to the yellow pages website where I managed to verufy this). Pity it's closed today for some reason, couldn't understand the sign. I was all the more frustrated by being able to see the variety of guitars through the window. The store is quite small, and the quality looks pretty good, so chances are I'll have to spend a little more. But hey, if I get a hard case for it, I'll stow it for my return in Easter next year.

The weather is also a little dreary, only letting up the drifting rain for some small respite when I managed to ferret out the shop. Got to ride the lows otherwise the highs aren't so high anymore. Rollercoaster and all that jazz.

So to finish with a little photo from adventures yesterday, here's a shot of the University of Hamburg. I had to take it with my cell phone as I again forgot my camera. It's very much a moss and ivy covered building. Hunter Building eat your heart out.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Just returned from the shops sporting an armload of food for tonight and the greater part of tomorrow.

The one thing I didn't collect was a bottle of red wine. It's quite daunting having to choose a nice red wine from a large selection of international wines. Especially as I'm used to anything priced in the $4 -$8 range as being nasty.

I suppose good inexpensive wine is easy to find, but it's damn hard to choose one. I gave up.