Today has been a stellar day. Before we even begin, today has been nothing but pure hot sun. I'd say it was a solid 26 degrees outside with the lightest of fresh breezes. Great weather for simply ambling through the streets. Needless to say I had a smile on my face from day break.
First off, class is getting more interesting and slightly more challenging. We're starting to really get into to grammar now that we've nutted out articles a bit more. Ich verhosche ein bisschen Deutsch lernen und denn sprechen. The whole class is really trying to move on. Some have actually skipped to another class that's two weeks ahead, but I don't want to spell it out to them that that class will finish in a week and then they'll have to come back down to our class. Some just don't think ahead.
Then I had lunch with Professor Hilf. We ended up sitting and talking for well over two hours. He's a great character with lots of stories, including sitting on a panel for the WTO, working for the EC, and being a commentator on International Constitutional Law and the like. We also rambled on about football, studies in Germany, and of all things his daughters. Turns out his youngest is studying bio-chemistry in Zurich, and he's taken an avid interest in it, so I was able to converse to him at length all about Marine Natural Products and their bio-chemical importance and the work being done by students at VUW. This is where I plug Katie having found two novel compounds in marine sponges. Sounds pretty easy, till it needs be pointed out that for honours not finding anything is an achievement, and finding three makes a thesis for a PhD.
But back to Professor Hilf, seeing as he paid for my lunch I need to spend some more time sharing him with you. He's suggested taking me, and the other VUW exchange students, to a Bundesliga Football match in November. Sounds pretty damn exciting. A chance to see a Law Professor be a hooligan is something I don't want to pass up. Especially seeing as it's his home team playing HSV. He did really get me thinking though about where I want my career to end up: academia, private practice, or some weird hybrid monster. Things are a bit easier in New Zealand on this front, and I don't know whether its our general attitude or whether it's the legal profession. Moreover, is this a good thing or not? I haven't truly decided on the point yet.
On a weirder note, I just had an interesting story passed onto me. The story goes:
The link is here, and I'm not one hundred percent sure on this, but it does sound credible. I just need the back story, so if you're willing to fill me in on this, please do.
Otherwise, any comments Jamie?
Further to the little discussion point raised yesterday, here's a thought that was passed onto me that got me thinking again. Is "evil" a social construct, and how exactly do we know, determine, or understand what is evil? Can we truly define evil then, or is it simply a subjective shadow of morals?
To help you ponder these points, I'll share my little zen-thinking spot with you. Hopefully it works as well for you as it does for me.
And the day just keeps getting better and better. My washing machine is fixed! Turns out there was a 50 EUR cent coin stuck in the pump, and it wasn't mine! I'm so happy my cheeks are hurting from smiling. Today has truly been a new day to a new week.
First off, class is getting more interesting and slightly more challenging. We're starting to really get into to grammar now that we've nutted out articles a bit more. Ich verhosche ein bisschen Deutsch lernen und denn sprechen. The whole class is really trying to move on. Some have actually skipped to another class that's two weeks ahead, but I don't want to spell it out to them that that class will finish in a week and then they'll have to come back down to our class. Some just don't think ahead.
Then I had lunch with Professor Hilf. We ended up sitting and talking for well over two hours. He's a great character with lots of stories, including sitting on a panel for the WTO, working for the EC, and being a commentator on International Constitutional Law and the like. We also rambled on about football, studies in Germany, and of all things his daughters. Turns out his youngest is studying bio-chemistry in Zurich, and he's taken an avid interest in it, so I was able to converse to him at length all about Marine Natural Products and their bio-chemical importance and the work being done by students at VUW. This is where I plug Katie having found two novel compounds in marine sponges. Sounds pretty easy, till it needs be pointed out that for honours not finding anything is an achievement, and finding three makes a thesis for a PhD.
But back to Professor Hilf, seeing as he paid for my lunch I need to spend some more time sharing him with you. He's suggested taking me, and the other VUW exchange students, to a Bundesliga Football match in November. Sounds pretty damn exciting. A chance to see a Law Professor be a hooligan is something I don't want to pass up. Especially seeing as it's his home team playing HSV. He did really get me thinking though about where I want my career to end up: academia, private practice, or some weird hybrid monster. Things are a bit easier in New Zealand on this front, and I don't know whether its our general attitude or whether it's the legal profession. Moreover, is this a good thing or not? I haven't truly decided on the point yet.
On a weirder note, I just had an interesting story passed onto me. The story goes:
So a certain twin brother of a regular poster here has made what he fondly hopes is his break through advertising jingle. Well, maybe not, but its still a jingle and it was still made by a certain local twin. Kinda funny too. Don't tell him where you got this link from
The link is here, and I'm not one hundred percent sure on this, but it does sound credible. I just need the back story, so if you're willing to fill me in on this, please do.
Otherwise, any comments Jamie?
Further to the little discussion point raised yesterday, here's a thought that was passed onto me that got me thinking again. Is "evil" a social construct, and how exactly do we know, determine, or understand what is evil? Can we truly define evil then, or is it simply a subjective shadow of morals?
To help you ponder these points, I'll share my little zen-thinking spot with you. Hopefully it works as well for you as it does for me.

And the day just keeps getting better and better. My washing machine is fixed! Turns out there was a 50 EUR cent coin stuck in the pump, and it wasn't mine! I'm so happy my cheeks are hurting from smiling. Today has truly been a new day to a new week.
8 comments:
Sorry about the font size, I just can't seem to fix it like the others. You'll just have to squint.
For your amusement, a story from the latest Salient on a .
Ahahahaha, I'm going to yet another Bundesliga game. This time its HSV versus Berlin on August 27. It's with Jan, his girlfriend, Wiebke, and one other I think.
The cost is 30 EUR but that's chimp change for an experience like this. So I skimp on food for that week, it's no bother.
Okay, the link for Jamie's fame and fortune has now faded, but it still takes you to the general direction.
Look for Sugartits Jingle.
And yes, it's confirmed. IT IS JAMIE.
Is evil a social construct?
By this do you mean is evil a creation of man rather than a independant force, i.e. Satan?
Regarding your earlier question, is the absence of religion a religion? I guess it could be, if you define religion very broadly as to mean a belief system or a belief system that is not verifiable beyond a reasonable doubt. But that seems too broad IMO.
I've been an athiest for some time, and I've never thought it to be a religion in any sense of the word. Is that because I have a negative view of the word 'religion', or is it because I simply do not thing there are any gods and leave it at that? I suspect it is a little of both.
Yes it was me. I was hungover and bored.
For the back story, you should watch zeFranks video blog regularly and check out the other bad jingles on the site. It was a dare.
And I neeeed to find out how you found it mike.
King of the Comments!!!!
(ze joke)
Anon - I mean, how do we define evil? Is it a matter of "knowing" or more importantly, what external forces influence our decision in this, if any?
As for religion, personally I don't think the absence of religion is religion. It's a conscious decision that there's is no higher power (or other appropriate term).
This last point is interesting because the US Supreme Court has ruled that aethism is a religion. But whether this legal definition is a social definition is another matter.
Nice to see some people thinking.
Hmm, the SC said that? Have you a citation?
Jamie, loved the song, glad to see you are kicking it old school with your guitar.
Post a Comment