Today has just been a little weird. Take for example one of the many things listed below.
First Instance: Having to explain what the exercise we were doing in class to the dude sitting next to me. In German. In the little German that I know. You try telling a small Ecuadorian man who speaks no English that you have to determine what the direct question is, based on the answers provided, and teach him at the same time. In German. Again, in the little German that I know. When he has no freaking clue what to do. And you do this for 10 minutes. Screw the ability of some people in the class to arrange complex answers to simple questions. I think you know you're getting somewhere when you're able, in German, to explain what you should be doing, and teaching them how to do it. Needless to say I felt a little smile creep on my face when he got it. Even if it was only one correct result out of twenty. I take pride in the details.
Second Instance: Being serenaded by an accordian group ouside our classroom window. I know that they're playing for the restaurants on the way and not us, but it brought a nice little crescendo to the end of class. Some small fesitivity if you please. One guy actually got up and did a little dance. Spaniards. Go figure.
Third Instance: After spying the spire of St Michael's, I attempted to walk in its direction. The use of the word "attempted" is intentional, and should be read in its ordinary meaning as in: 'I attempted, but did not succeed'. "Why did you not succeed Michael?" you ask, "Surely you know how to navigate the streets of Hamburg by now?".
Don't mock me, this ill placed church has already done so. You see, I started in its direction, which took me around the Alster and you can see the steps upon which I usually devour the feast that is my lunch. If you're really keeping track you'll recognise two of the spires: the Rathaus and St Nikolaus. But sadly, there was no St Michael's in sight. To make matters worse it just appeared back where I started from. I think Hamburg is taunting me, using spatial vortices to make that ever famous spire elusive. It has done this before, but I have prevailed. "She will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine".
Fourth Instance: German supermarkets do have rice. But no dessert wine just yet. Somehow I missed the entire Asian section. Now I found this hard to believe as I scoured the store yesterday for thrity minutes or more going aisle by aisle to find some rice. It just happens to appear today when I return just to have a look. My theory is that the city was laughing at me today, the reason for this follows on from here.
Fifth Instance: Before entering the maze that has become my supermarket, the day was bright and sunny. As I'm sure you can tell from the photos. It was even so sunny that I think my neck is sun burnt, but don't fret, it'll go brown tonight and my tan will even out Also my hair is doing its blonding-in-the-sun-thing. This, however, is not the point I wish to make (but it does feel good to revel in finer weather and its repercussions). The point is that while I was in the supermarket, the heavens opened up. Well they didn't just open up, they stampeded out of those pearly gates as fast as fast could be. That's right, I went to leave the store and it was pouring down. There was literally a sheet of water outside the door, and about 100 people waiting in the store for it to pass. And wait we did. Rain turned to hail. Hail turned to more rain. And we waited. And waited more. After fifteen minutes when there was a slight relief in the weather (being that you wouldn't get knocked out by the impact of the rain) I headed home sandals in hand.
It's a great feeling to still be all warm and sundried and walk through puddles. Brought a smile to my face. I must have looked a sight just idly musing through the street. The sun has come out now by the way, yet there's still the ominous boom of thunder in the distance. It's so very surreal.
Good things have occured today though. Namely the finding of rice and soy sauce. Also counted among the boons of the day include the forthcoming adventure at the Dom tonight, and an invitation to go watch a friendly soccer match tomorrow between HSV and AS Roma. You will have pictures and stories, I can guarantee that. Stir fry is an amazing spectacle to be shared.
The other thing of note is that I finally figured out what this thing looks like. It's been bugging me ever since I arrived, as I walk right past it everyday. This photo from a distance best captures the feel I think.
Don't tell me it's not an Orwellian space ship.
First Instance: Having to explain what the exercise we were doing in class to the dude sitting next to me. In German. In the little German that I know. You try telling a small Ecuadorian man who speaks no English that you have to determine what the direct question is, based on the answers provided, and teach him at the same time. In German. Again, in the little German that I know. When he has no freaking clue what to do. And you do this for 10 minutes. Screw the ability of some people in the class to arrange complex answers to simple questions. I think you know you're getting somewhere when you're able, in German, to explain what you should be doing, and teaching them how to do it. Needless to say I felt a little smile creep on my face when he got it. Even if it was only one correct result out of twenty. I take pride in the details.
Second Instance: Being serenaded by an accordian group ouside our classroom window. I know that they're playing for the restaurants on the way and not us, but it brought a nice little crescendo to the end of class. Some small fesitivity if you please. One guy actually got up and did a little dance. Spaniards. Go figure.
Third Instance: After spying the spire of St Michael's, I attempted to walk in its direction. The use of the word "attempted" is intentional, and should be read in its ordinary meaning as in: 'I attempted, but did not succeed'. "Why did you not succeed Michael?" you ask, "Surely you know how to navigate the streets of Hamburg by now?".
Don't mock me, this ill placed church has already done so. You see, I started in its direction, which took me around the Alster and you can see the steps upon which I usually devour the feast that is my lunch. If you're really keeping track you'll recognise two of the spires: the Rathaus and St Nikolaus. But sadly, there was no St Michael's in sight. To make matters worse it just appeared back where I started from. I think Hamburg is taunting me, using spatial vortices to make that ever famous spire elusive. It has done this before, but I have prevailed. "She will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine".Fourth Instance: German supermarkets do have rice. But no dessert wine just yet. Somehow I missed the entire Asian section. Now I found this hard to believe as I scoured the store yesterday for thrity minutes or more going aisle by aisle to find some rice. It just happens to appear today when I return just to have a look. My theory is that the city was laughing at me today, the reason for this follows on from here.
Fifth Instance: Before entering the maze that has become my supermarket, the day was bright and sunny. As I'm sure you can tell from the photos. It was even so sunny that I think my neck is sun burnt, but don't fret, it'll go brown tonight and my tan will even out Also my hair is doing its blonding-in-the-sun-thing. This, however, is not the point I wish to make (but it does feel good to revel in finer weather and its repercussions). The point is that while I was in the supermarket, the heavens opened up. Well they didn't just open up, they stampeded out of those pearly gates as fast as fast could be. That's right, I went to leave the store and it was pouring down. There was literally a sheet of water outside the door, and about 100 people waiting in the store for it to pass. And wait we did. Rain turned to hail. Hail turned to more rain. And we waited. And waited more. After fifteen minutes when there was a slight relief in the weather (being that you wouldn't get knocked out by the impact of the rain) I headed home sandals in hand.It's a great feeling to still be all warm and sundried and walk through puddles. Brought a smile to my face. I must have looked a sight just idly musing through the street. The sun has come out now by the way, yet there's still the ominous boom of thunder in the distance. It's so very surreal.
Good things have occured today though. Namely the finding of rice and soy sauce. Also counted among the boons of the day include the forthcoming adventure at the Dom tonight, and an invitation to go watch a friendly soccer match tomorrow between HSV and AS Roma. You will have pictures and stories, I can guarantee that. Stir fry is an amazing spectacle to be shared.
The other thing of note is that I finally figured out what this thing looks like. It's been bugging me ever since I arrived, as I walk right past it everyday. This photo from a distance best captures the feel I think.Don't tell me it's not an Orwellian space ship.
3 comments:
Oh, other bits of useless information are:
- I now have my ATM card, so I can acutally use my German bank account now;
- I'm still the only international student at Bucerius. There was one guy from Iowa, but he's apparently in Spain.
This will sounds real weird to some people, but I just made the most amazing stir fry. And all I had was soy sauce, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, and rice. I won't tell you my trick...just yet.
This ain't a cooking blog.
Just note that I'm getting some texts well after they were actually sent. So if I don't reply to your text, please bear this in mind.
Post a Comment