Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Why Again?

Today is Waitangi Day here in New Zealand. Doesn't mean much to you? Well, join the numerous Kiwis who still have no real clue what Waitangi Day, why we celebrate it, or even how. Some would even venture to suggest that even though it's a Public Holdiay marking a significant point in our history, it's no real cause for celebration. There's often demonstrations of some description, and there's always some political movement, quarrel, tension.

Nonetheless, it is a day off work. It's a pity that everyone else gets it too. The last thing you want on a gloriously hot day is to be sitting in traffic. Lucky me. After visiting Oriental Parade, and negotiating my way through the oodles of people, I decided it would be best to venture off to a quieter part of town. Sadly, my thoughts must have been the same as half the population of Wellington as I found myself stuck in traffic for over forty minutes. In the hot sun. And I don't have air con in my car, just the marvel of windows. It was boiling. So I ventured home, to enjoy shade and food without the hassle of crowds.

At the very least I enjoyed my short trip to the beach, reading in the sun.

As for what this Holiday means to most people, if you look at what people do on this day, you see a completely different perspective on what the day means. It's a celebration of Bob Marley's birthday, and it turns out we Kiwis love to celebrate it.

No comments: