You know how I said I was doing one leg of the Great Lake Relay around Lake Taupo? Well, it turned into two legs on Friday, the day we had to leave. So there's me starting to worry, I'm having to worry about running 8.4 km for which I was roped into a week earlier, thinking that I can simply collapse over the finish line when I done, and I'm then asked to do another 6.1 km on the next leg. I was overjoyed.

But as it turns out, I shouldn't have been too worried. I did the whole 14.5 km in 70 minutes flat. Not bad really, even better when I did the first leg (8.4 km) in 38 minutes, and it was packed with a couple of nasty hills. The course description had it noted as an easy climb and undulating to finish. My ass. There were two hills, one of which was pretty damn steep, and the other was not undulating. It just kept going. Nonetheless, I made some sweet time, and everyone on the team was amazed at how I managed to do it with no training. Go muscle memory and playing any sport I get a chance to do. My motto was "Forrest Gump It".

As you can see, there was some fantastic weather, so I'm thankful I was only racing in the morning. It turned into a stunning day, so what better to do after running than drink beers in the sun. Perfect way to unwind. Plus, there's nothing like drinking with new people to get to know them better. Sometimes it produces interesting results, like conversations about KY Jelly, male and female circumcision in African cultures, attractive famous people, old television shows, and eighties pop. We covered a broad range of topics. Broad range.
I quite simply had a brilliant time, and I've resolved myself to go again next year, do some more running, and go on the business ski trip come August if I have a chance. These are good people, with good times.
2 comments:
Please note that none of these hills pictured where the ones I ran up.
HAHA... love the descriptions of the hills, and I can only imagine what they look like. We've just gone and gotten ourselves gym memberships, so hopefully we'll be stunningly fit by the time the wedding roles around :)
Post a Comment