Today is just an amazingly hot, brilliantly sunny, and simply gorgeous day. And I had to wear a suit...
Awaking to a such stunning weather usually brings a smile to most people's faces. It was probably on your face today, and most likely returning as you hear I had to wear a suit. A black suit. A black wool suit. With a tie. I thank the heavens that the room my interview took place in had air conditioning and a giant jug of ice cold water. I thank even more the fact that I got there early enough to sit down, drink half the jug, and cool off.
The interview itself was a new and different experience. Not because I had to answer questions I've never been asked before, or had to write an essay on what Mergers and Acquisitions means to me without reference to American Psycho. No, that would have been slightly easier to cope with. I felt as though I was in control of the interview. From the moment the guys walked into the room, I felt like the power rested with me. I knew their names, I knew their background, and I asked all the questions for the first ten minutes while they answered me. But it didn't seem odd to them at all. And that's what was weird as hell. To be in control of a situation where you're not the one making the decision, where in fact the opposite should be true. I'm not asking them why the firm is right for me, I applied in the first place. But that's precisely how it felt. Plain odd.
Currently I'm seeking refuge from the sun, though the heat is creeping in. It feels good to be in a shirt and shorts. But even the reduction from that to a suit doesn't feel enough. Personally, I think I'm still not used to this heat, not used to Summer. The pitfalls of season skipping.
Hopefully the hard work and determination pays off. I've worked at finding a job since September last year, when I found out there was nothing for me where I was led to believe there was. Admittedly it's getting a little draining having to do all this research, all this cold calling, all this self-selling. I partly hope I find something soon to ease this, and the other part of me is hoping for two different reasons: Money, and Pride.
I need money to do what I want. To be secure in the knowledge I can afford a return ticket to the USA, or from the USA. To be sound in the comfort of paying back debt. And to simply live as the grown up I'm supposed to be.
That goes hand in hand with Pride. I don't want to be a bum. I don't like hearing that "No". The pride takes a real fall sometimes with that. And I'd like to produce a response I recieved so everyone can share it:
Awaking to a such stunning weather usually brings a smile to most people's faces. It was probably on your face today, and most likely returning as you hear I had to wear a suit. A black suit. A black wool suit. With a tie. I thank the heavens that the room my interview took place in had air conditioning and a giant jug of ice cold water. I thank even more the fact that I got there early enough to sit down, drink half the jug, and cool off.
The interview itself was a new and different experience. Not because I had to answer questions I've never been asked before, or had to write an essay on what Mergers and Acquisitions means to me without reference to American Psycho. No, that would have been slightly easier to cope with. I felt as though I was in control of the interview. From the moment the guys walked into the room, I felt like the power rested with me. I knew their names, I knew their background, and I asked all the questions for the first ten minutes while they answered me. But it didn't seem odd to them at all. And that's what was weird as hell. To be in control of a situation where you're not the one making the decision, where in fact the opposite should be true. I'm not asking them why the firm is right for me, I applied in the first place. But that's precisely how it felt. Plain odd.
Currently I'm seeking refuge from the sun, though the heat is creeping in. It feels good to be in a shirt and shorts. But even the reduction from that to a suit doesn't feel enough. Personally, I think I'm still not used to this heat, not used to Summer. The pitfalls of season skipping.
Hopefully the hard work and determination pays off. I've worked at finding a job since September last year, when I found out there was nothing for me where I was led to believe there was. Admittedly it's getting a little draining having to do all this research, all this cold calling, all this self-selling. I partly hope I find something soon to ease this, and the other part of me is hoping for two different reasons: Money, and Pride.
I need money to do what I want. To be secure in the knowledge I can afford a return ticket to the USA, or from the USA. To be sound in the comfort of paying back debt. And to simply live as the grown up I'm supposed to be.
That goes hand in hand with Pride. I don't want to be a bum. I don't like hearing that "No". The pride takes a real fall sometimes with that. And I'd like to produce a response I recieved so everyone can share it:
After reviewing your CV I regret to inform you that your qualifications and experience do not adequately match those sought for this position.
I would like to thank you for taking the time in applying to X and wish you all the best in your search for a suitable position.
I pick myself up, but it's hard to sometimes. It's crazy having to build those catch nets for that situation, not expecting anything, having to build yourself down while maintaining that smile for the firms. I don't like being rejected. I don't enjoy failure.
But so far, everything good in my life has simply just been there at the right time and the most unexpected times. So, quietly I'm hoping that the one interview, the one firm that seemed so out of the blue, so surprising, is for me.
But so far, everything good in my life has simply just been there at the right time and the most unexpected times. So, quietly I'm hoping that the one interview, the one firm that seemed so out of the blue, so surprising, is for me.
1 comment:
I'm going to know how you're feeling in this post in the not too far off future, as I've been considering getting something published... and I've seen those rejection letters before... scary... and disheartening... but we must persevere against the odds... or die trying :)
Post a Comment