Friday, January 26, 2007

It's the Simple Things

I've always said that beauty comes in details. Simple things can make a day. Simple things, as it turns out, can also detract from a day. Like holding onto what you think is right, standing all righteous and the like, only to realise once it's all been said and done, just how incredibily ridiculous you sound. All for a simple thing. Boy do I feel a little foolish.

So as not to dwell on the issue, I'll discuss the plans for tonight. There's Yi's farewell drinks, as she's heading off to Auckland and then to Beijing for a short stint. It should be some good fun to catch up with all and sundry again.

Then, I'm going on a cruise. It's only a harbour cruise, but it's a cruise nonetheless. This one has been organised by my new employer. Well, actually, it's the social club. And I've been invited because, as it turns out, an old friend of mine already works there and thinks it'd be a great way to meet people. All over free drinks and nibbles. I'm not one to turn down freebies. But the interesting part of this story is that I got to see the email that was forwarded around the workplace to initiate everyone to my commencement on Monday. It's an ego boost for sure:
Michael has a BSc (Chemistry) and an LLB from Victoria University. He has recently returned from an exchange semester at the Bucerius Law School in Germany. He is fluent in Japanese and German, and after being runner up in the Bell Gully Mooting competition at VUW in 2002 he won the same event in 2006. He has a VUW Gold Medal for water polo and is an accomplished hockey player. To top this off he is also a better than average pianist and a qualified lifeguard.
I couldn't have blown my own trumpet better. And with that, I'm off to socialise.

The weekend has nothing in store. The perfect wind down to starting work.

No comments: