Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Return of the King

Well, I'm back in New Zealand now. Attempting to iron out my life for the coming year. One thing I've noticed is that everything does feel different. I'd equate it to attempting to put a big box into a slightly smaller box. It feels like it should fit, looks like it should, but it doesn't.

It feels weird to be back, almost as if I haven't even left. This is where the startingly good memory comes in and I remember little things from Germany. Best example was while working at the pool the other day, something triggered a memory of a small dragonfly tattoo. I smiled for the rest of the shift.

As you may have noticed, I'm still working at the pools. The simple fact being money is a priority. Not that I'm a greedy person, it's just that there's debts to pay. And I don't have employment for the year yet, as my interviews with various firms are next week. Added to that is the uncertainty of what's happening with the JET exchange, which will be resolved at the end of the month when I know if I've got an interview.

It's probably a good thing that I've gotten home and hit the ground running: arrived on Tuesday, started working on Wednesday at the pools and chased up people for flats and accomodation. This just makes the contrast to being in Germany and New Zealand so much different. I spent the last week and a half in Hamburg struggling to find things to do beyond chasing up people who were on holiday, and reading lots of books. Add to that the weather, the fact it's light in the afternoon, and that there's English all around me. It makes for an interesting feeling of uneasy familiarity.

I've decided to try and keep this blogging thing going. It won't necessaarily be filled with storied of adventures in Germany or Europe, seeing as I'm no longer there. I hope instead to just talk about anything and everything that I come across. It'll be a place for similar musings as before, but I'll probably be using things and places familiar to a fair number of readers, and not to others. In those cases, I'll do my damndest to make sure everyone is on the same page, be it by discussion or by a simple link.

Here's to the New Year.

No comments: