Saturday, January 27, 2007

Monster Mash

Last night was a smash. After having farewell drinks for Yi, and finally realising that she was not only going to Beijing, but then onto the UK indefinitely, I headed to meet up with the new work crew.

Now, I've already mentioned that I got invited to this little shindig at sea because an old friend of mine from Chemistry now works there. Turns out it's a completely different Liz than I anticipated. How did I find out? Well, I asked the wrong person who looked familiar if they were Liz. Turned out to be another person I know from law, called Alice. Close, but not close enough. Soon enough I managed to find Liz, and to my relief it was an even better find. I hadn't seen her in nigh on 3 years, so a good catch up was had.

After doing the rounds and meeting everyone, it soon became apparent that no partners were there, and it was mainly all the younger crowd. Needless to say that the bar-tab got chewed through pretty quickly. Which was a good thing on my part, because everyone had read the internal memo about me, and as soon as they caught onto who I was, the reply was "So you're Michael?! The lifeguard!". After some more drinks and time, I soon was referred to as "The Over-achiever". It was all taken in jest.

But nonetheless, it was a good night to meet so many new and friendly people. Some more overtly freindly than others, which made the night a little uncomfortable at times. Ass-grabbing seems to be a popular sport amongst some of my furture workmates.

Well, like I said, this weekend doesn't hold much in store for me. I'm just taking it easy, enjoying the last few simple days of freedom I'll have for a little while.

1 comment:

PVM said...

I've realized that in work functions, when alcohol is involved... ass grabbing is a world wide phenomena and to be avoided, especially if someone has a camera on hand.