Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lost in Transition: Eternal Queues of the London Kind

Heathrow. Fun. In that sarcastic way. I’ve endured about an hour in the security clearance queue, and then about an hour and half in the Flight Connection Counter queue. Turns out that Barcelona is closed, and British Airways are missing half their crew because of thunderstorms in the region stopping flights into Heathrow. This is a recipe for waiting, pure and utter waiting. Ever seen that TV show “The Airport” where there’s just some idiots trying to do things they should have done a long time ago, like buy tickets. Well I’ve seen one, in fact two. And they are the most annoying people in airports as they have no clue, will not listen to instructions given to them and think that there’s something special about them that requires special attention and that their demands be met.

I have, however, never stopped smiling since leaving Wellington. Not one tear has been shed, not one regret contemplated. I know that this is what I want to be doing, and this is exactly how it should be going.

I’ve got a further two hours to burn while waiting for my flight to Hamburg. I can’t face shopping at the duty free stores as it means I have to lug around my gear in this heat. I’m just going to stay here in the nice air-conditioned seating area until someone tells me to move on.

Did I mention it is 30 degrees here? At 6 pm? And yes, every female aged between 15 and 30 is wearing short shorts, and everyone is wearing jandals. Blast this intolerable weather….

No comments: