Saturday, July 29, 2006

Guten Morgen (sic)

Welcome to my very first morning in Hamburg on this adventure (those of you keeping track should know that I’ve already been here before, but that’s another story). Before we get into the activities of today, let’s delve into the occurrences of last night.

First off, Germany is hot right now. Very hot. It was almost too hot to sleep last night. Almost. 40 hours of travel won out in the end.

Secondly, this hostel was so damn hard to find. Wiebke and I spent over an hour looking for it, getting lost, found, and lost again. We ended up driving through the Reeperbahn numerous times, and yes, I will go there in the near future. More so because in a weekend in September there’s a Reeperbahn Festival. Party in a red light district! And apparently Thursday nights are cheap or free nights for students.

I met some interesting characters at the hostel, among them two Brazilians – Raphael and Enrique, who were crack ups. Others I met were Daniel and Ben, two Germans up from Mainz checking out the universities and night life.

Currently I’m sitting in the paved courtyard of the hostel, overlooking the river and its ports. There’s this dense haze on the horizon, and the light breeze is bringing waves of heat. The humidity is high, but not uncomfortably so. You can smell the moisture on the air.

Every moment just seems to resonate that this is what I should be doing, there’s no sense of regret, remorse, guilt, or change of heart. Every pulse breathes in these moments, and I know that this is my place, right here, at this time. I can’t fully describe this feeling, except to say that it’s like an ache from smiling too hard: even though there might be some consequences later, you just can’t stop smiling.

Smile and the world smiles with you.

No comments: