Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lost in Transit 2.5: The Airport’s Cut

Well now the gate has changed numerous times from one side of the airport to the other. Not too bad if it’s Wellington Airport, but Hong Kong has eighty something gates of which walking between numbers 20 and 40 takes 15 minutes – with the travelators. Needless to say I’ve had my exercise for this journey.

To add to things, there are announcements about alerts with the baggage so some flights have been moved and delayed. Looks like it might be the luggage on my flight. I might refer you to Fight Club at this point, where our anti-hero has his baggage destroyed at the airport:
“Bombs these days don’t tick, they vibrate. But don’t worry, nine out of ten times it’s an electric razor.”
“What’s the tenth time?”
“Vibrators. It’s not ‘your vibrator’ it’s ‘a vibrator’, we’re not allowed to infer ownership”.

That kind of sums up the mood right now. So frustrating it’s farcical, comical, and deeply funny. At least to me. And no, I don’t own either of those two items.

I have met though a lovely group of elderly ladies ranging from a variety of backgrounds but all come from New Zealand. We all had a great time tracking down what is (at this moment) our departure gate.

Each airport is full of its own thrills and spills, so here’s hoping that Heathrow doesn’t provide the last laugh. I’m still smiling, and intend to keep it that way.

Obstacles are you what you make of them.

No comments: