Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lost in Transit II: It Ain’t Half Hot

I’ve safely touched down in Hong Kong after an overnight flight from Sydney. It was after waking up at 3 am local time (5 am Sydney, 7 am NZST) that I realised the more expensive option of travelling through LA might have been easier. I love the cheap airfare I got, but upon realising the time zones I have to travel through and the direction in which I’m travelling I came to the sudden conclusion that cheaper is not always the best.

Nonetheless, I’m getting to see cities (or their airports) that I’ve never seen before. Hong Kong is stunning. First impression when landing was the light. There’s just massive amounts of light pollution. Landing here at 5 am local time seems to look like about 9 am NZST, it’s that bright. The next thing that took me were the boats on the harbour, the reflection of their concentrated lights is something with an innate beauty in it from afar.

The final thing I noticed about Hong Kong is the heat. It’s 5 am here and a cool 27 degrees. It feels like there’s about 105% humidity. I’m not a huge fan of wet heat, and it’s making me feel rather uncomfortable. Give me a New Zealand dry summer any day of the week.

I’m still struggling to find an Internet connection. I did manage to get on the one and only functioning computer in Sydney International Airport. I have faith in Hong Kong’s technical prowess to provide something a bit more….helpful.

In the meantime, I’ll entertain with lessons learnt from a half full flight to Hong Kong:
-A man of 6’2” cannot lie comfortably across 2 seats
-A man of 6’2” cannot stretch out comfortably in a Cathay Pacific seat
-Cathay Pacific window seats are designed so that a man of 2’6” rather than 6’2” can look out of it without causing serious strain to his neck
-It’s a long way from the tray table to your mouth, and food invariably gets lost on the way
-Sleep will always come just when you need it
-Americans are loud. Very loud. Business class Americans are the loudest.

Anyways, onwards and upwards.

No comments: