Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lost in Transit

Now I know why these airfares so cheap: I’m being forced to wait at each airport while in transit for at least 3 hours. I hear you say: “But surely Michael, you have many means of entertaining yourself during this downtime?” My response to that is simple. Airports are temporal vortexes. There’s just something about airports that suck the seconds out of every hour, every minute, every tick. It scares me.

What scares me even more is that in an airport of such quality Sydney suggests of itself, there is only one computer that has Internet access. One out of twenty-four computers that provide free Internet access is actually working. And sadly this computer is ALWAYS taken. To make matters worse, you CAN access the Internet from your own laptop for the small measly price of AUSD 14 per hour. I mean come on….

So this little ensemble has been put together while waiting in Sydney, hoping that Hong Kong has something close to free Internet access.

To make matters more interesting, the flight to Sydney was on a little cramped plane. I’ve flown in bigger going from Wellington to Blenheim. And they didn’t offer any candy for the descent. Air New Zealand rocks my socks in that department.

To console myself I went duty free shopping for confectionary and chocolate. It all looked so tempting, and expensive. I did, however, succumb to the delights of Bassett’s fruit allsorts (don’t worry Miranda, there’s actually no fruit in them).

In all honesty though, I’m still very much upbeat about this whole adventure. I haven’t cried once saying good-bye to friends and family. Though I almost came close saying goodbye Kat, possibly because I’m travelling without my travelling buddy.

Anyways, to round things up quickly:
-Qantas: bad, Air New Zealand good;
-I’m having a pretty good time, though it ticks by slowly;
-Sunsets in Sydney are amazing (or at least this one was). I didn’t get my camera out in time to capture another one for your collection Miranda, so I apologise);
-I arrive in Hong Kong at the pleasant hour of 5 am. Help me.

Toodles, and I hope no one’s world has crumbled upon my departure.

No comments: