Thursday, September 20, 2007

Word of the Day - Humourility

While some cherish the strength to change what they can, others the serenity to accept what they can't, and some want the wisdom to know the difference, I'm more grateful to have the good humour to go along with it all regardless.

Remember the gutted kitchen roof? Well that's now turned into a roof, an exterior wall, and no kitchen available for use until the work is finished. Tuesday most likely. I had no response when I was told of the impending work over the phone, other than "We have no kitchen? But I made toast there this morning".

Strange to think how reliant we are on kitchens. There's due compensation, and it looks as though the work is going to be fairly quick as the contractors were already lined up. So not too bad. I just had to laugh at the bizarre situation unfolding.

Good thing I could keep that smile on. In an attempt to rejig my finances and sort out my financial health with the bank, I shortly found out soon afterwards that the loan I took out last year to help cover my Bucerius exchange was recorded incorrectly. I'm supposed to be paying a whole lot more interest on it than I currently am. Great. If I hadn't been so smart and tried to sort out my money, or asked about a whole range of options, this would never have come up. Go me trying to improve my situation.

Still the irony of it all is not lost.

Then, matters get more interesting. That's right, there's more. After the seminar today on IP insurance, which by the way is quite neat but you can tell it's run by non-legal professionals as its a good idea but no consideration for the uncertainties of litigation, three of us from work ended back standing in the office bitching about work. Apart from finding out some interesting movements and politics at work, and more about how they treat people, I go and start mouthing off about how little work I have and talk about likely plans to leave next year. It's not really news to my colleagues but, in the fashion of today, one of my seniors is still there unbeknownst to us. Serious foot in mouth disease.

Though it may have some good effect. I stuck around and talked to my senior after packing up my office, and it became quite apparent that she had heard me and my plight of no work. She accepted responsibility for the large part of it, in not finding the time to delegate work. But it was good to just talk about some of the articles I've been asked to write. More on that another time, as it needs your full attention to savour my geekdom.

But before we go, there's more. Upon picking up my car from the garage...the battery is flat. A door had been locked but not closed properly. Adding salt to the wound of the day. However, I decided to shrug it off as I did most things today, and attempted to crash start the car. In my suit. I hear gasps and people are expecting something good from here on in. Well, it all went well until the car hit the driveway of the carpark. And stopped. Stuck in the drive. Waiting for the roadside assistance. All 3 necessary seconds of it after 30 minutes of waiting. Excellent finish to an excellent day.

Now I lie on my bed, typing away, laughing at what today has brought. I am very grateful to have the good humour to face most things.

1 comment:

PVM said...

It amazes me the good humor you have in the face of adversity. Gives me hope and makes me try to do the same in my own life though :). So thanks for that ;).