Thursday, September 27, 2007

Anonymous Lawyer

I sometimes wonder what kind of a lawyer I'll grow up to be. I've had quite a few discussions with colleagues over the last few days, and I think I'm one of those people that thrives on pressure and stress. It helps focus and drive me.

And for all the love of being an advocate, and taking that adverserial approach, I don't think I'm as much of an asshole as the people sitting across the table from me with this current dispute. I've never met someone who attacks the people rather than the positions. It's hard to explain, but his correspondence drives me to the extremes. They attempt to ridicule and abuse our client and us, without care for the relative strength (or weaknesses for that matter) of anyone's arguments. It's like he's trying to turn it into something personal. And I don't appreciate it.

I'm doing my best to steer away from being drawn into it, it seems petty, unreasonable and reinforces the archaic lawyer stereotype. The good news is that it's generating a fair amount of work, and I get to do a whole of research and write memos about the issues it's raising.

It's at times like these that I like to browse through a fantastic parody of lawyers found here, at the blog of the Anonymous Lawyer.

Someone left a link to it in my comments many moons ago, and it's only now that I've managed to share it with everyone. Interestingly if you go to his Anonymous Law Firm, the parody is continued with superb detail. I find it amusing, and strangely therapuetic.

The best part is, I don't live that life. I'm doing what I enjoy.

1 comment:

PVM said...

I've always loathed people who would rather degrade other people in an argument, instead of merely arguing their point and expecting their position to carry it's own weight. Why do we feel the need to personally abuse others in order to get a point across?