On my travels and daily searching for procrastination, I've taken to improving my German language skills again. To that end, it really involves looking up strange and exotic words in the German Language. You see, there's a plethora of nouns out there we English speakers would be lucky to have. One word to precisely describe a feeling, thought, situation, or reaction. It's a stunning language.
So far, the one that made me laugh the most at work is legerdemain - the feeling of residual guilt that remains after you've discovered that one of your illicit pleasures was lawful after all.
I think I'm going to continue my hunting and collecting on this front. You're welcome to join me.
So far, the one that made me laugh the most at work is legerdemain - the feeling of residual guilt that remains after you've discovered that one of your illicit pleasures was lawful after all.
I think I'm going to continue my hunting and collecting on this front. You're welcome to join me.
2 comments:
Hi Mike,
what was that about German language ...
I am reading Robert H. Bork's antitrust bible "The Antitrust Paradox - A policy at war with itself" at the moment and wonder which odd words the English language has: I mean - HOBGOBLIN - doesn't it sound quite funny? I found out what this means and it's really fitting. But I am still smiling about it - hobgoblin - strange strange strange ...
Andreas
English DEFINITELY needs more words like that. I say we begin work at creating some. If Shakespeare can do it, why can't we?
Post a Comment