I mentioned The Letter Project last post, and I'm seriously giving it some thought. I mean, how often to we get letters these days? Okay, I'll rephrase that. It's rare for me to get anything other than bills and account statements in the post these days.
Gone is the romanticism of penmanship. And if you know me, you know I'm a hopeless romantic. Even my emails can be long detailed works. I'd describe them as resounding tomes, except for the fact they often reflect on mindless daily drivel, or needless flowery language as a lecturer once told me. Tomes, yes. Resounding, no.
Cards would be a nice alternative though. I enjoy sending them. I can't comment on receiving them, as its been awhile. Admittedly the frequent ones from my Mum when I was in Germany were reassuring, motivating, and I'd like to think, grounding me in reality.
This whole discussion begs the question: what is the etiquette relating to written works and cards, is there a required or expected time of response, is a response necessary, and if so, must it be in the same form? Card for a card, or is it limited to the form - hand written for hand written, or is an electronic response to a hand made card appropriate?
Instant communication may have robbed us of the antiquities we once savoured.
Gone is the romanticism of penmanship. And if you know me, you know I'm a hopeless romantic. Even my emails can be long detailed works. I'd describe them as resounding tomes, except for the fact they often reflect on mindless daily drivel, or needless flowery language as a lecturer once told me. Tomes, yes. Resounding, no.
Cards would be a nice alternative though. I enjoy sending them. I can't comment on receiving them, as its been awhile. Admittedly the frequent ones from my Mum when I was in Germany were reassuring, motivating, and I'd like to think, grounding me in reality.
This whole discussion begs the question: what is the etiquette relating to written works and cards, is there a required or expected time of response, is a response necessary, and if so, must it be in the same form? Card for a card, or is it limited to the form - hand written for hand written, or is an electronic response to a hand made card appropriate?
Instant communication may have robbed us of the antiquities we once savoured.
1 comment:
When I was in highschool, a friend of mine was going on his mission (he's mormon) from California to the wide world of New York (if memory serves). So I told him I'd write. While he was there for the entire year, I wrote him letters telling him what was happening in my life and he'd send back letters describing his adventures. At one point he complained of the cold during the winter and wanted something to keep him warm, so I sent him a polar bear plush. He then sent back pictures of said polar bear plush doing fun things around his little apartment with letters of more adventures. It was fabulous good fun and made you feel good to actually get post.
Post a Comment