Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Remains of the Day

The end of my time in Hamburg is nigh, and it's really starting to dawn on me. I sent off a package containing things I won't need for a while that should hopefully ensure my baggage remains outside excess status. Touch wood.

I've also gotten back into wandering around town. The feel is completely different than before, partly because I know where everything is, and places that I lost myself in last time turn out to only be around the corner from familiar territory. Nonetheless, it's still easy to find peace. A walk around the Alster today was settling. I managed to get many thoughts in place, while still musing and allowing the Thought Express train to get sidetracked every now and then without derailment. Though no I took today can really depict the serenity around the Alster at a strange twilight hour of 3 pm, I do have one of from the other side of the Binnen Alster.

Hopefully it can convey some of the emotional ties and memories I have to Hamburg now. Devout followers will recognise two spires in the picture: The Rathaus, and St Nikolas. If not, then well I hope you enjoy the view.

As for organising some thoughts on my little jaunt, I managed to come to the distinct conclusion that I know very little about what next year holds for me, and a little less about what I really want. It all comes down to one two words: "A Plan". Frankly, my plan is slightly more foward looking. It's big picture kind of stuff. Some details need ironing out, but they'll come.

In terms of this global view, it's pretty much that. I know I'll be in Vienna again next year for two weeks come the end of March. I'd very much like, and am taking all steps to ensure that I'm in the USA for at least two weeks come the start of May. There's the possibility of travelling between these times, as well as the possibility of being in Japan come July. For work of all things.

As for work and money, I've been trying to figure that out. I'm fairly positive the money aspect can be covered, thanks to Bucerius. And I'll just lay my cards out on the table in terms of employment and time. Being openly honest has only proved beneficial thus far.

It certainly doesn't look as though the future is going to be dull, and I'm doing my damndest to make sure it has it's challenges, moments, and rewards. All in all, in spite of things dwindling out here in Hamburg, and although the entertaining lifestyle of a student is dying with it, I have to say that the future does look promising, whereever it is and whatever it holds.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Okay, turns out that May may not be the time to go the USA. It could be August.

It may be slightly further away than originally anticipated, but that can make it all the more worthwhile.

PVM said...

August would be better, cause I'll be around. May I'll be in Cali a lot ;).

That picture is stunning and it's so funny that sometimes I feel like I was in Germany with you with all the pictures and anecdotes you post up here :). Makes me think I should do more blogging.