Christmas on my own is more difficult than I ever could have imagined. I've been away from home before over Christmas, but I was with a Japanese family and Japan doesn't really get into the whole festive season. It was a bit easier then. Now though is hard, for two main reasons. Firstly, Germany really gets into the whole Christmas affair, and it really is a huge family affair. It's seeing everyone with huge grins on their faces and hearing about everyone's magical time that really drives it home. My flatmate is being really great though. She's been at her parent's place for most of the days, but the time she does spend at the flat, Jana is making sure I'm doing alright - eating, sleeping, making sure I've got plans, and of course, being very understanding and consoling. Especially about being alone over Christmas.
Which brings me onto the second reason. I think I'd be better over this period if I had my partner in crime around. Sadly though Elaine has gone home, and it's proving more difficult to cope with than I imagined. Jana's being a great help in that regard as well, partly because she's been in a similar position before. I just can't describe how things feel, it's weird. I've ended up being far more paranoid than I ever should be, always waiting for that text message, holding out for a phonecall. I've turned into Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction. All I need now are the starving Alsatians.
But in order to get things moving in a more positive direction, I've been rather active. Though I haven't chosen Shaka Khan, I tried to organise a dinner for all the internationals over Christmas. Turns out the only ones without plans already are Tanya and myself. So we met up for dinner last night and tracked down a place that was open. And tonight, I'm cooking up some food because neither of us can really be fussed searching for another place. Plus, the alcohol is cheap at your own house.
On an even brighter note, a couple of the internationals are around after Christmas, so we're meeting up for some dinner and drinks at this little Brew Haus on Wednesday. So I'll have more company. Jana has also invited me round to her parent's house on Tuesday for dinner, so that'd be nice.
I suppose I just could keep writing, but I need to look at organising what I'll be cooking for dinner tonight. I think it'll be some kind of pasta dish.
Which brings me onto the second reason. I think I'd be better over this period if I had my partner in crime around. Sadly though Elaine has gone home, and it's proving more difficult to cope with than I imagined. Jana's being a great help in that regard as well, partly because she's been in a similar position before. I just can't describe how things feel, it's weird. I've ended up being far more paranoid than I ever should be, always waiting for that text message, holding out for a phonecall. I've turned into Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction. All I need now are the starving Alsatians.
But in order to get things moving in a more positive direction, I've been rather active. Though I haven't chosen Shaka Khan, I tried to organise a dinner for all the internationals over Christmas. Turns out the only ones without plans already are Tanya and myself. So we met up for dinner last night and tracked down a place that was open. And tonight, I'm cooking up some food because neither of us can really be fussed searching for another place. Plus, the alcohol is cheap at your own house.
On an even brighter note, a couple of the internationals are around after Christmas, so we're meeting up for some dinner and drinks at this little Brew Haus on Wednesday. So I'll have more company. Jana has also invited me round to her parent's house on Tuesday for dinner, so that'd be nice.
I suppose I just could keep writing, but I need to look at organising what I'll be cooking for dinner tonight. I think it'll be some kind of pasta dish.
1 comment:
Aww hope it went well... I'll keep reading and find out for sure :) but yeah... /hugs
Post a Comment