I finally got a real German Christmas. Jana invited me round to her parents' house for Christmas dinner last night, and it was just amazing. I almost got tearful after dinner because I hadn't had a real family dinner since July. They treated me so well, and there was real German Christmas food, and Christmas decorations, a tree, and a huge Advent wreath hanging from the kitchen ceiling.
It made my Christmas.
I even got a Christmas present - a hand made chocolate angel and a book for Hamburg on foot. I'll be putting it to use today and tomorrow. It really pulled me out of the dolldrums and being round a happy family round Christmas time was just pure enjoyment. I had a smile on my face as soon as everyone was happy to see me. I can't thank Jana or her family enough.
One thing her brother will always have to brag about is that he met someone who was in Lord of the Rings. Apparently he's a huge fan, and being eleven years old, I think this encounter is something to treasure. He spent hours asking me what I did, where things were filmed, and just looking in plain awe. It just brings a smile to my face to think about how excited he was. My Dad was right, Christmas is a time for children, so it's best to spend some time with them.
As for today, I'll be attempting the great feat of preparing for my departure. I have to go to the postshop and purchase some boxes to send stuff home in, and look into sending my guitar. I think it'll still be cheaper than excess baggage seeing as I have four legs to my trip.
There's also a dinner with Pierre-Luc and his sister tonight. Pierre-Luc is the nicest guy I've met. He's from Lyon, and is a typical French man. But he's such a pleasure to be around, so hopefully tonight will be a great time.
With that, I must depart. Things to do and all that. I need to get the ball rolling.
It made my Christmas.
One thing her brother will always have to brag about is that he met someone who was in Lord of the Rings. Apparently he's a huge fan, and being eleven years old, I think this encounter is something to treasure. He spent hours asking me what I did, where things were filmed, and just looking in plain awe. It just brings a smile to my face to think about how excited he was. My Dad was right, Christmas is a time for children, so it's best to spend some time with them.
As for today, I'll be attempting the great feat of preparing for my departure. I have to go to the postshop and purchase some boxes to send stuff home in, and look into sending my guitar. I think it'll still be cheaper than excess baggage seeing as I have four legs to my trip.
There's also a dinner with Pierre-Luc and his sister tonight. Pierre-Luc is the nicest guy I've met. He's from Lyon, and is a typical French man. But he's such a pleasure to be around, so hopefully tonight will be a great time.
With that, I must depart. Things to do and all that. I need to get the ball rolling.
No comments:
Post a Comment