Friday, November 10, 2006

Wintery Blasts

The end of Summer is definitely upon us. The trees have shed most of their summer coats, and the vivid Autumn hues are distinctly visible. The Planten un Bloomen looks like a completly different landscape now, many bright colours have been replaced by the subtle tones of a muted season. Though there's a breath of life with the remaining trees and their scarlet red leaves. It really is quite stunning and I should probably take a photo one of these days.

But with the falling of the leaves, so falls the temperature. It's pretty cold here these days. Well the temperature itself is not that low, mind you, single digits are pretty cold nonetheless. It's really the artic winds that freeze you. I'm so glad I have a long, thick, warm jacket and a cushy, soft, woollen scarf. Elaine's claimed possession of my possum wool gloves though, but it's something I'm happy to live with.

The real problem with this weather is that it's neither cold enough nor dry enough to snow. It's on the brink of that cheery threshold, but somehow Hamburg manages to completely dash my spirits. Snow would be cool. A crisp clean sting to the air would be nice. Much more so than the cold damp rain we seem to have experienced and will no doubt see more of.

All this talk of cold weather has gotten a number of people to ask me what my plans are for Christmas. And frankly, I have no idea. Well, that's not entirely true. I would like to visit the Chrsitmas markets around Germany. These markets are in operation from the end of November and the weekends are supposed to be the best, so that leaves plenty of time to actually do something. There's talk of going to Budapest or Dublin after the exams and coming back just before Christmas. Something which sounds very inviting. The dead line of coming back before Christmas is vital as that's when Elaine flies out. Poor me has to fend on my lonesome until December 31.

As for Christmas day itself, I think I might end up spending it with the Aussies. Some of them are staying in Hamburg during that time so we might have little Downunder celebration.

But before I get to carried away over Christmas, there's Thanksgiving to think of. Studying with Americans is a huge perk in that there's plenty more holidays to celebrate. A huge turkey meal with lots of warm comfort food sounds ideal in this weather. I'm keen to get to know the holiday more intimately.

Alas, time draws to a close. Before I leave you, I give you a photo of the opening ceremony at the Euromasters 2006. Bucerius is the school in red and white at the back in the middle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

sounds like you are having a good time. How did you hook up with that American? girl. Congrats! Malibu is cool. Having lots of fun, but now have to write too many papers.
Felix

PVM said...

I know exactly how you feel about the cold and wishing for snow. The falling leaves were lovely in MN... but so far they've yet to get snow that sticks. I think it's waiting for me to fly back before it finally falls :).