Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Internationals can drink

So I've returned from Koblenz and the Euromasters 2006 competition. It was a killer time. As things turned out, we only played Volleyball twice. Sounds disappointing and you'd be right - travelling 7 hours by bus, paying €35, only to play twice. But we can take heart from the fact we won one game and lost the other, and interestingly enough the loss was to the team that eventually won the Volleyball trophy.

The whole thing took place in a giant sports hall, so there was enough to keep us busy and entertained while we waited. The free food and drinks was also a good distraction. And it wasn't just junk either. There was fruit, muffins, soup, sandwiches, water, apple juice, freshly made juice cocktails, shakes, and muesli bars. I ate my fill and more.

In terms of the sport going on, we saw indoor soccer matches, volleyball, basketball, relay races, relay indoor rowing races, and cheerleading.

The cheerleading needs special mention because it was everything you'd imagine in a bad American movie - the cheerleaders were doing their best to look skanky and completely into themselves. Well, the team who came first didn't achieve that, they did look really good. However, for the most part, Elaine's prediction of teams floor-humping turned out to be bang on. It was most fascinating and verging on embarrasing.

There was also huge parties. With free beer. And not just free beer for one hour, or only three beers. You had unlimited free beer. It was danger embodied. One of the guys we were staying with drank himself stupid and fell asleep in his clothes when we walked in the door. Come to think of it, both Moritz and Henny did that.

The final night was good fun too. Another party. Which we found out just before we'd be leaving for home straight after. I was confused at first too, so I'll give you a better idea. The party was scheduled to finish at 4:30 am or so. We were catching our bus home at 4:30 am. Simple plan of staying drunk enough to keep going while being sober enough to get onto the bus, and being drunk enough to put yourself into a deep sleep on the bus. It was a fine balance. Which we met perfectly. I feel asleep on the bus fully dressed up - huge coat and all, and wrapped in a blanket.

It was a fantastic weekend, though I didn't meet many people from other universities, I did get to know more people from Bucerius. It was completely worth it.

No comments: