Things have been pretty good here. In fact, they're still amazing. We've had plenty of good times here. The weather has been amazing, and it looks good for the weekend.
I'll start with what you've missed, then move onto what you will miss. I've become rather inpet at keeping you all upto date, so don't count on a full account by all means, but I'll give as much as I can.
Last Sunday we ended up going back to the Lake in the Stadtpart. The sky was bright, and I was brighter. Well, whiter. I did leave my top off for a good four hours only to get a little pink. The water was good, and the card games in the sun were fantastic. There's a group of three of us who end up playing 500 with a fourth ring-in, and we played for a good two hours or more in the sun next to the Lake. There's nothing like sitting on a slight grassy slope, a gleaming lake, and a warm kiss of the sun to accompany some good old fashioned cut throat card games.
The day of relaxation was complete ends to the day before. We participated in a City Rally, which involved walking round the entire city answering questions about Hamburg's history. It was pretty good fun, and I actually got to see some sights I've never seeen before. Like this old old old part of the city, built in 1670.Last night we ended up going to a "small" brewhouse here in Hamburg. I say small because it's a local business brewing its own beer. Its premises, however, are far from that. Catacombs describes it best. Or Bat Cave.
We started with four, and ended the night with seven, which was probably a good thing seeing as we purchased a 10 litre keg of their finest beer. It was good. The fact we played a fun drinking game had no effect on the comsumption, no, of course not. The fact we were loud and having a riotous time doing so didn't either. It was great fun, and we're already planning a large group to head back there again to pillage their 20 litre keg. The beer was that good.This brings us to the now. Tomorrow morning at the ungodly hour of 5:40 am we head out on a train to Amsterdam. Should be a fun journey, being 18 in total, and most planning to come straight from town. A five hour train trip never looked to promise such....interesting times. We'll be there all of Friday, Saturday, and leave Sunday evening. That leaves plenty of time to visit the Van Gogh museum, not that I haven't been there before, but this time I'll get to walk not run through it (I'll let you know what it's like Kat). Other options include taking a quick train to the smaller cities outside Amsterdam - I hear Rotterdam is good, and the Hague could prove educational. Photos will be supplied.
The only thing concerning me is that we're yet to book accomodation. Well, most have. Elaine and I haven't yet. I'm trusting her experience in finding good places upon arrival. Plus, most places tend to have beds only available upon arrival or booking in person. Smart Europeans taking us galavanting lawyers into account.
So, onto future plans. The following week is a long weekend, with Tuesday week being a public holiday. Some have class on the Monday and are skipping it. I on the other hand will have a longer weekend. My next class is the following Monday, so I get a week long long weekend. Thinking about utilising this to go visit Iceland or Stockholm before it gets too cold, or possibly going to somewhere like Italy or Spain where I can see bucket loads of stuff in a week. The best option is simply to check out www.lastminute.de which provides cheap flights and accomodation in one all inclusive price. I might just gamble and pick something cheap. You will find out I'm sure.
The other thing I'm looking into is the option of doing a Masters of Law somewhere in Germany or the USA. I'm just enjoying this resurgence of comparative studies far too interesting and stimulating. It really tests my knowledge and discussion skills. If I can find something like that out there, I'll think damn hard about it.
Now if you've skimmed through this, you'll pick up some little tidbits here. I've been given free access to the Grand Piano here at Bucerius. Something I've relished. I don't think I've played the piano so much in the last couple of days in a long long long time. And it feels good. Damn good. But with it comes a price. I'm getting bugged to play at the Opening Ceremony here. Something I could do quite easily now I think. We'll see.
Other little tidbit is that I've just made a purchase. I'll leave the wisdom of such a purchase to you. It's a large overcoat. Wool, and canvas outside, lined with a mink-like fur with hood and all. It is the most warm coat I've ever owned, and my god it looks good. Little expensive, but you pay for quality.
2 comments:
Comparative legal studies is good fun, i'm jealous!
Ben
Where's a picture of said wonderful coat?
Post a Comment