Friday, September 15, 2006

Great White Hope

First things first. HSV playing Arsenal in the Champions League at Hamburg was priceless. So the ticket cost €48, but that pails in comparison to the atmosphere. It was beyond electric. It was insane. And the seats. My god they were good. See for yourself. That's Franz Beckenbauer in the lit section. We were in the perfect spot to see Novisky's goal - the curling shot into the top right hand corner. Stunning.

There were 8 of us sitting together, and a total of 12 of us going there together. The only comment I need make is that Germans are far less polite in crowded trains than the Japanese. For starters, they all have the nerve to be almost my height so I feel slightly more crowded. The trains there were packey beyond sardine standards. You could smell the brakes melting because of the weight of the carriages. But man oh man it was so worth it.

The next day, a group of about 12 of us went to the Stadtpark in Hamburg, which has a filtered lake for swimming. I spent the entire day with my top off, and I swear I'm whiter than before. I think my skin is used to having no Ozone layer. Someone actually commented saying that I look whiter. Great, I'm getting bleached from the sun.

But you can see how stunning this place was. We were there for over five hours just swimming, eating, and playing card games. It was amazing. And this weather is supposed to last for September.

Other news is that it's Chinatime in Hamburg. A celebration of its sister city links with Shanghai. So the whole waterfront is done up with Asian themes, Asian markets and Asian food places. It's so good. And there's apparently fireworks coming our way tonight I think. Pity that I have to attend this reunion thing at Bucerius.

Which reminds me, currently getting ready for a networking afternoon with German and European law firms. I'm going to bag me a job here if I can. Wish me luck.

I've also booked a train ticket for next weekend. There's a group of 12 of us (what is it with this number and me this week?) going to Amsterdam for the weekend. Should be great fun. Also looking at trips to London and Dublin. I just confirmed my timetable for next half. I have 5 day weekends every week except for three occasions - once where I get a four day weekend, and another where I have a normal weekend but two days off midweek, and another which I have something on everyday except Sunday.

I'm not complaining, but I'd prefer to have a travel companion. Oh well, lifestyles of the galavanting law student.

1 comment:

a.m.y said...

hmmm...galavanting law student....speaking of which...i thought id just inform you that in french they have the same word for avacado as lawyer (as lawyer is like advocat and well they just shorten avacado) hope that makes you laugh