It's interesting how many things we take for granted in New Zealand. I'm not talking about the serious things like the freedom from discrimination or access to education. No. This is a discussion about big things. Like licorice and landscapes.
The view from my office is pretty spectacular, and with the recent cold weather we've been having it's turned into a stellar view. The crisp, cold, clear days of late have resulted in a dusting of snow on the Tararua Ranges to the North East. These clear days have also meant that my view has become picturesque in the evenings looking across from my office window when the sun sets. I keep meaning to photograph this, and I promise to do so next time I'm caught looking at them. But in all honesty, where else in the world can you find a bustling cultural city served by calm harbour surrounded by rolling green hills resting at the foot of idyllic mountain ranges. All of which sits outside my office window.
The other things we sometimes tend to take for granted is out sumptuous licorice. RJ's Black Licorice is world-famous. It's so sought after in the states that Amazon is contiunaly sold out. I've seen this stuff be chomped down by people despite their previous promclamations constantly proclaiming their distaste for the "foul black goop".
Anyways, I keep forgetting we have such glorious treats. Then I walk past them in the supermarket, my eyes caught by the Special signs, and I remember. I remember. And then I gloat about it to those less fortunate souls. For the briefest of moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment