Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Okay, you can laugh now

So after all of the fun and sun I had last week, and into the midst of this week, you can finally ease your concerns about the extent of my enjoyment. I have finals next week. Currently I'm taking a break from my studies to write this up. If there was a paper in procrastination, I'd get top honours.

With all the good times stories I've been sharing with you, I thought it about time to share the real life nitty-gritty stuff. Like studying, and work, and education. Three words I haven't spoken in awhile.

I'm not too overly stressed about my exams, one is on International Private Law, focusing mainly on choice of applicable law. Those in the know should be laughing right now - that's the topic the Vis Moot took on last year. It's good fun to get into it in some more detail, and to finally be able to provide a concrete answer and finish the statement: "The applicable law is..." with some certainty.

The other exam is Comparative Tort Law. Sounds difficult I hear you say. Considering the exam is made up of four questions asking us to reflect on the principles of Tort Law, its direction, and comparisons between Common Law concepts and Civil Law principles, I'm not too overly concerned. It's the art of bullshi...I mean writing opinion pieces is what I do best.

Only concern is that they're on consecutive days. Ouch.

The other nitty-gritty in my life at the moment is the release of the Vis Moot problem. Things are starting to get into motion with that again. And I'm really looking forward to being involved again. This year's problem looks to be good fun.

Of course there's other concerns going on at the moment - like the fact I didn't get the job I was looking for in New Zealand. So I'm stressing a little on what I'll be doing next year. Only a little. On option is the JET exchange to Japan to teach English or be invovled in a coportation for international relations. Either way it'll improve my Japanese, which should make me a more attractive prospect for MFAT, or other internationally minded organisations where ever they may be. It's just an idea. Something to give me a little hope.

Add to that the fact that my sinuses are acting up again, and I've got a little bit of a head cold. Coming from hot Barcelona to colder Hamburg is not a healthy move, and damn that recycled air in airplanes, it always does this to me. I just hope to shake it before my exams.

Anyways, I should return to study. I'd rather get a pass in my papers than an A in procrastination.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you back in NZ dude?

Mike said...

Currently I arrive back on January 2, but this is subject to change. I could arrive back as late at January 29 (flying out of Hamburg on January 27).

That said, keep January 2 as the date unless I say otherwise.

Regardless I will keep people updated.

Mike said...

the "/*" should read "could" - damn browsers here.

PVM said...

Hope your exams went well... I'm sure I'll read more about them going forward :). That being said, why the differentiation between the "back to NZ" dates?