Saturday, August 16, 2008

Busy busy week

This week has been a medley of emotions.  Not from me.  Rather, I've been on the receiving end of it.

First up there was a mediation, my first if you will.  There were eight parties including the claimant, and only 3 lawyers.  Most parties were pensioners, in their retirement, and overly frustrated at the system and the claim against them.  So needless to say there was a broiler of emotions.  Thankfully, I somehow seemed to be considered a voice of reason.  I'm not sure how it happened, but people listened to me.  Which makes me think I have my 'normal voice' and my 'lawyer voice'.  I can tell when there's a shift, but I don't know what triggers it.  One just sounds more assertive, more certain.

Anyway, I digress.  I wasn't prepared for the emotional onslaught from these parties wrapped up in this claim.  It was hard, but ultimately it's the best result for them in the long term: no trial, no uncertainty in the outcome.

As for the aforementioned arguing lawyers.  Well, Friday proved interesting.  A lawyer and his firm shall remain unnamed, but he tried picking a fight with me over emails between the tribunal and other parties.  It was over a confidentiality issue.  I remained calm, and professional.  He digressed and took things to a personal level.  Not what I would expect from a partner in a firm.  The good news though: I got what I wanted, and he was politely demonished by the tribunal.  Wonder if his actions will have any professional repercussions.

And now, it's the weekend.  Thank heavens.

No comments: