Thursday, April 10, 2008

Working 5 to 9

If one was to look at my life at the moment, there'd be many things you'd see. And it's all related to law, mostly work, but mostly unpaid believe it or not.


So what am I doing? Well beyond what's actually contained in my job description, which by the way is something along the lines of managing and advising clients on their intellectual property portfolios, developing them and implementing various related strategies, there's also some pretty neat stuff, namely:
  • Advising my work, and preparing information for Partners and clients on the effects of the new Copyright (New Technologies) Amendment Bill which was passed on Tuesday.
  • Writing articles on how one such amendment could really expose most businesses to a rather significant liability.
  • Preparing litigation documents for several key clients, on issues I've never even touched before - the prime example being disclosure of confidential information. To expert witnesses. In patent opposition proceedings. Go figure.
  • Preparing notices of infringement (or cease and desist letters) for other staff members. (one of my personal favourites, having written 3 today for 2 different staff members).
  • And then there's preparing my lecture on International Commercial Arbitration. Haven't done that one yet, but its on my to do list.
So I feel like I'm really working two jobs, one of which I thoroughly enjoy, and the other numbs my mind chronically. Three guesses which one is which, and which one I'm not getting paid for?

But I tell my self things are going to be going well. I have a large work function tomorrow night, and a Rocky Horror Picture Show themed party on Saturday night. Thus I'm quite looking forward to my weekend.

And just found some more photos from Vienna. It's a hard life being a world traveler sometimes.


1 comment:

PVM said...

Isn't it always hard to get paid to do something you love? At least you're moving in the right direction. I've always sort of hated what I do (accounting), yet that's what my degree is in and that's what I'm good at (sort of pushed that way by my father). However, there's a boargame company w/in 30 mins. of my house that is hiring... an accountant... and I interviewed and should know by next Friday. How strange a world...